Issues With Browsing And Streaming

hi,

am running xp professional, 5.1.2600.

seem to be having problems with the internet - browsing and streaming. I have norton up to the minute updates so i don't think it's a virus issue

no idea what the problem is, it seems like the computer just gets a little data and then gives up, this problem happens on IE, Google Chrome and Firefox, so i assume it is an issue with my computer. below are the problems.

Browsing:

Pages either don't load at all (immediately switches to a blank internet screen and says "done" in the status bar. by refreshing can get some of the page but generally not all

Streaming:

videos or audio both load a little and then stop. again status bar just says "done", refreshing can get a little more.

i would assume the issue was with my settings, however i have no idea where. is there a way to run a diagnostic? or reset the factory settings so that whatever it is that is compromising my browsing may get re-written?

yeah the cache is clear. my housemate has a computer on the same network and he doesn't get any problems so i don't think it's an isp issue...

i can't think of any updates that got loaded on, i'm thinking something has changed a system setting, and only allows x amount of data to come through before stopping

Is your network setup through a router? If so try another port on the router.

Try power cycling the modem/router.

Turn off/unplug the modem

Turn off/unplug the router

Turn off all computers that are plugged in

Turn on/plug in the modem and wait for it to come all the way back up...this may take a few minutes so just sit and wait for all the lights to come back on and stabilize.

Turn on/plug in the router and wait for it to come back up...same as the modem...wait for all the lights to stabilize.

Now turn on one computer at a time, let it synchronize and proceed to the next one.

You can also refresh/renew your connction and flush the DNS through the Command window.

Go to Start then Run and type cmd and press the <Enter> key.

With the Command window open type the following commands then press the <Enter> key after each one.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /renew

(Notice space between the g and /)

Once this completes just type exit and press <Enter>.

nah didn't fix the problem.

is there a way to restore factory settings maybe?

If you are talking about the router and modem, there is a little recessed button that you will need a paper clip or pencil to push it in. Hold it in for about 15 seconds and it will reset it to factory defaults. If either one of them have had an update, you will lose it and will have to go get them again. Are you connecting wired or wireless?

• 2 weeks later...