Dual Monitor Configuration Help

Hello, I just installed an ATI HD video card on my pc which has 2 connectos: a DVI & HDMI. I have the HDMI connected to my HD TV and the DVI Connected to a 17" LCD. What I want to do is configure the dual monitors so that only Windows Media Center plays on the HD TV and the rest of the desktop works on the LCD. This way the kids can watch TV/Movies and I can still do some work on the pc using the LCD screen. Can someone help? I tried fiddling with the settings but couldn't get anything to work. I got the desktop showing on the HD TV but its impossible to do anything on it because I'm about a foot away from the TV. Any help is appreciated.

Does it show as dual monitors in the ati control panel or when you right click on desktop and choose properties => settings?

If so set one as primary and the other as an extension of desktop not as mirror.

Then you set the applications you want displayed on the secondary to open in the extended desktop.

Problem is that while many applicaitons such as IE will allow you to drag a window from one desktop to another, most full screen apps will only display on the primary (or a mirrored display)

not on an extended desktop.