Not Able To Boot Form Hard Drive

NOT able to BOOT form HARD DRIVE

System configuraton:

- e Machine

-160 gb hd

-780 ram

-I have installed Windows XP on this machine. Have a problem in booting

-This machine had a problem in installing windows. It had 2 HD's (70 GB- Master and 160 GB- Slave).

Master was not working. I removed connection for master HD and installed windows xp on the slave.

Windows installed successfully and booted from the HD and was working well.

Note:

When I shut down and reboot it display a message HD is not recognised insert CD.

I changed boot sequence to HD, saved and exited. It booted well.

Again I shut down and boot it the SAME GOOD OLD PROBLEM (HD IS NOT RECOGNISED INSERT CD)

could any one can help me in fixing this problem

Thanks,

Edited by vbravoori

I agree, it sounds like a weak cmos battery on the motherboard and the BIOS forgetting what hard drive you have.

Unplug and open the case, locate the shiney coinlike thing and look for the number (probably 2032 or 2974) then go to the store (walmart, grocery store, home depot, radio shack ....) and buy a replacement for a couple bucks. Come home , pop out old battery , pop in new one. Close case , power up and boot to bios, autodetect the drive , save settings and exit.

Other thing that can cause this would be a weak power supply . Emachines are noted for shoddy power supplies which fail and the first sign is that the hard drive does not get enough power to spin up and be bootable in time. Hitting the restart button a couple times often allows it to boot since the ram is already charged, and fans and drives are already spinning.

If this is the case replace it before it fails.