Hello,

I'm posting because I'm having some problems with connecting a laptop to the internet.

This system is using Roger's internet, the one you get from an antenna. But it works fine, as I am on it from another laptop right now.

However, if you unplug the wire from it (a Toshiba) and try to plug it into the other laptop, a Dell Inspirion, it won't work.

Windows informs me that there is no Hardware problems, and there is a light that comes on above the Input when you plug in the cable.

The Internet worked on the 9th, but won't work now.

I ran the Windows diagnosis tool and it showed that it was unable to ping form online sources, and everything online (email etc) reported a failure.

I disabled and re-enabled the LAN to no avail.

Anybody have suggestions?

Thanks,

Mitch

It could be it needs to re-acquire the ip address for the other laptop.. most internet ips are assigned per mac address..if you swap it out to another laptop, the mac address would change and it would be unable to connect to the net. I'm not sure how those devices work, try cycling the power while it's connected to the dell. If that still won't work, i'm not sure what the issue could be but it might be just that, and if so, it's an easy fix.

Hello there

In your network connection are you using DHCP or static ip address. if you are on static try switching to dhcp and if you are dhcp try using static and enter the same ip, subnet, default gateway and dns as the other laptop that works, if you not sure how to get that info, just go to the command prompt and type ipconfig. hope this helps if not i will continue to be at your service until it is resolved

your CPU friend :thumbsup:

Here's my suggestion. Knowing you have 2 laptops, most likely with an internal wireless card. I would go out and purchase a wireless router. Then Plug it into the internet connection you currently have. If you are unable to get that router connected to the internet, call your ISP. They may need to add the MAC address of the router, in order for it to connect.