Computer Having Major Problems...help

Not sure this is even possible but I have been having this problem for two weeks and cant figure it out. I reformatted the the hard drive and reinstalled the OS and the problem still exists. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter.

To start if I look at my activity it says packets sent 1,000,000, packets received 30,000,000. It receives far more packets. I cannot download any files because they are corrupt. I cant stream any videos without them stopping. Pictures fully load but they look funny. I have to disable and reenable the connection every five minutes because the internet just stops working. I hooked another computer up to my internet and it worked fine. I have to go onto my other computer to download anything. I have ran Bitdefender, Anti-malware, Spysweeper, Spybot, Adaware all with the same results. I also posted this is the malware forum and they said it is a computer hardware problem. Anyone have any idea whats going on. Any help is much appreciated.

Edit: I have switched to my other computer and after about an hour of being on it I now have the same problem. This computer that I just infected has a network card diagnostic option on it when I go to it,it says its having "receive errors" For example it will say:

Sent packets 300

Received packets 1000

Received errors 150

Also in that diagnostic program the duplex button is blinking yellow. Not sure what the means but all of the other options listed are a solid green.

Edited by JCL15
Not sure this is even possible but I have been having this problem for two weeks and cant figure it out. I reformatted the the hard drive and reinstalled the OS and the problem still exists. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter.

To start if I look at my activity it says packets sent 1,000,000, packets received 30,000,000. It receives far more packets. I cannot download any files because they are corrupt. I cant stream any videos without them stopping. Pictures fully load but they look funny. I have to disable and reenable the connection every five minutes because the internet just stops working. I hooked another computer up to my internet and it worked fine. I have to go onto my other computer to download anything. I have ran Bitdefender, Anti-malware, Spysweeper, Spybot, Adaware all with the same results. I also posted this is the malware forum and they said it is a computer hardware problem. Anyone have any idea whats going on. Any help is much appreciated.

Edit: I have switched to my other computer and after about an hour of being on it I now have the same problem. This computer that I just infected has a network card diagnostic option on it when I go to it,it says its having "receive errors" For example it will say:

Sent packets 300

Received packets 1000

Received errors 150

Also in that diagnostic program the duplex button is blinking yellow. Not sure what the means but all of the other options listed are a solid green.

Which OS are you using?

Are you using a router?

What kind of reformat did you do? Complete? Quick?

What did you put back on the computer after the format?

What are the specs of the computer?

If you are using Windoze, which flavor?

Did you download and install critical updates immediately after the re-install?

Antivirus?

Vista

No router

I used a program called wipe drive to make sure it was completely wiped. I think did a fresh install.

I have nothing on the computer. It started doing it right away.

2.8 processor, gig of ram...

I cant install updates because I cant. Any file I download is corrupt.

Nod32

I am really considering just going and getting a new mac pro this week.

Edited by JCL15

You are right. I just moved to arizona from iowa and forgot to bring my vista disc. The version I have on here right now is a version that was stripped of some of the unnecessary items. I am having my vista disc shipped to me and I will reinstall when I get it. I have had this stripped version for awhile though with no problems.

You are right. I just moved to arizona from iowa and forgot to bring my vista disc. The version I have on here right now is a version that was stripped of some of the unnecessary items. I am having my vista disc shipped to me and I will reinstall when I get it. I have had this stripped version for awhile though with no problems.

Have you installed the correct updated drivers for your hardware or are you using the generic drivers which came with this "stripped" version of Vista?

If the problem was present before the format and install, and you have other computers using the same internet connection which do not have a problem; then it sounds like you have a bad ethernet cable or bad ethernet card.

I would try a USB ethernet adapter or new PCI ethernet card and see if it solves the issue.

The vista program has been installed on my computer for a year with no problems. The computer I switched over to has xp with all updated drivers and windows updates and has the same problem as the vista computer. Would you guys just recommend hiring someone to come fix it.

The vista program has been installed on my computer for a year with no problems. The computer I switched over to has xp with all updated drivers and windows updates and has the same problem as the vista computer. Would you guys just recommend hiring someone to come fix it.

Ah, so two computers on the same network have the same issue?

In this case I would suspect that it is either the router, modem , or connection.

Have you tried turning off and unplugging and disconnecting the modem and router; waiting five minutes and plug em back in (in the order suggested when you first set up , generally plug in(and power on) modem, connect it to router, plug in router( and turn it on) , connect modem to phone/cable line , connect router to PCs and restart pcs .

Is this a wireless network? If so do you have speed boost enabled? Basically , in oversimplified terms speedboost tells the router to ignore damaged or lost packets , rather than sending a packet , waiting for confirmation that it was recieved intact and un damaged, and then sending the next (or resending the last one if it was lost or damaged); with speedboost it ignores this and just keeps sending packets regardless of the ones which are lost or damaged. This is fine for things like web pages and streaming video; you may get dropped frames in the video, or some pixels , and errors or lost content on a page but rarely notice it. But with downloads, any error is a serious one.

The other thing would be having the MTU set to high. MTU determines the Maximum size of packets. Larger packets have a higher probablility of being damaged or corrupt; and having to be resent, but sending a whole bunch of tiny packets is inefficient and slower, and resending a bunch of large damaged packets slows things.

So you have to get a balance where not to many packets suffer from damage and need resending; but likewise you are not making them so small it takes forever to get the data sent and received.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit

Edited by Pete_C