Need Recomendations On Buying A Laptop

My daughter is happy with her new macbook, it has a 2.4 GHz intel core duo processor with 2GB RAM, and a DVD/CD burner. Those specs should do you, if not then like shanenin said max out the RAM.

I have a question are all the processors for laptops "Intel Centrino - Core 2 Duo inside" or are there several types of them? such as: Wolfdale, Yorkfield, Conroe, Kentsfield, Harpertown for the desktop?

The mobile Core 2's are Merom (first generation) and Penryn (second generation). The next generation, based on Nehalem, is scheduled for late '08 or early '09.

There are also several generations of Centrino platform: Napa (first Core 2 generation), Santa Rosa (current generation), Montevina ("Centrino 2", scheduled for June), and Calpella (scheduled for mid-'09).

Edited by jcl
I have a question are all the processors for laptops "Intel Centrino - Core 2 Duo inside" or are there several types of them? such as: Wolfdale, Yorkfield, Conroe, Kentsfield, Harpertown for the desktop?

The mobile Core 2's are Merom (first generation) and Penryn (second generation). The next generation, based on Nehalem, is scheduled for late '08 or early '09.

There are also several generations of Centrino platform: Napa (first Core 2 generation), Santa Rosa (current generation), Montevina ("Centrino 2", scheduled for June), and Calpella (scheduled for mid-'09).

Which processor from all the Core 2 Duos would you recommend? the system will be doing some heavy processing, as said before, it will be working with satellite images using software like Erdas and Arc gis, also I'm thinking the laptop would need at least 4 GB of RAM to work with these.

Edited by intocomputing2
Which processor from all the Core 2 Duos would you recommend?

It's not entirely obvious to me how the CPU would affect GISy-image-processy work. Based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I suspect that memory and disk performance would be more important than CPU performance; if that's the case, I think it would be worth, if possible, waiting a month or two for Montevina and its 1066 MT/s FSB, assuming that it makes a different in the real world, and seeing what CPUs are shipping with it.

Also, I have no idea what processors are on the market. I stopped paying attention a few years ago.

So, no recommendation.

the system will be doing some heavy processing, as said before, it will be working with satellite images using software like Erdas and Arc gis, also I'm thinking the laptop would need at least 4 GB of RAM to work with these.

4 GiB of RAM sounds about right.

Edited by jcl