In our studyhour my classmate tells me that we can't use his computer for research because he doesn't know the product key. At first, I thought that it shouldn't be a big deal and that something like Berlac Advisor would solve the problem, but it turns out that he was taking about the product key you enter when you are installing windows. Apparently he doesn't remember if he got a product key or not, and when he tried to reinstall the OS, he got stuck at the stage where he has to enter the procut key in the installation process. He says he tried calling Microsoft with his receipts at hand to prove he actually bought the comp and windows version and that it's not piracy, but apparently they weren't able to provide him with the product key, he will try calling the manufacturer (in this case Compaq) tomorrow morning.

Do you guys know of any other way for him to recover his product key and finish the installation?

I would think the Compaq has a partition on the HD that holds the installation. If so he should be able to use the Recovery system. When he boots the PC there should be a Key function that allows him to use Recovery Console. If he had a Disk to do the install the Key may be written on the disk itself. Or like TT stated it might be on the back of the case of the PC.