Setting Up A Printer For A Home Network

How do I configure the printer so that everyone can print their documents (whether word or excel or a pdf) regardless of whether they are in their rooms or the living room? (all the computers are connected to the same router) do we have to install the driver for the printer on every computer? or can we print only the documents in our "share folder on the network" folder?

These directions are for Windows XP. Vista will be similar, but not exact. Make Sure all computers are on the same network workgroup.

First, get on the computer that the printer is installed on:

Control Panel > Printers > Printers And Faxes > Right Click The Printer > Sharing > Choose Share This Printer

Next, Do This on the Rest of the Computers:

Control Panel > Printers and Faxes > Add Printers > Next > Choose Network Printer > Next > Choose "BRowse" > Next >

Now, you'll see your Workgroup and maybe some computers... Click the name of the computer and select the printer. Click Next and it should install it.

How do I configure the printer so that everyone can print their documents (whether word or excel or a pdf) regardless of whether they are in their rooms or the living room? (all the computers are connected to the same router) do we have to install the driver for the printer on every computer? or can we print only the documents in our "share folder on the network" folder?

Personally, My preference is to use one of the printers designed for network sharing which have wireless or ethernet connectivity and connect to your router so you do not have to have another computer on .

I have tried sharing the printer connected to one computer over the network, tired USB autoswitches (and manual ones) and tried print servers; but of all the options the one which satisfied me most was to buy a HP PSC all in one with network connectivity and hook it to the router by ethernet. (the one I got also has a fax feature where you connect a phone line to it and it receives incomming faxes and you can send a fax through it from your computer or directly using the scanner you can scan what is on it and send it to any networked computer; it was well worth the $99 I spent three years ago).

Now most major manufacturers have several network printers as well as network ready all in ones.

Here are some to get you started

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1149208924071

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping...e=12-47157534-2