Apple Sues Nyc?

It looks nothing like Steve Jobs' Apple logo. Bloomberg will own Steve's "fruits". NYC was known as the Big Apple long before Steve was born.

My thoughts exactly. Apple has no case. The only reason I would see them even pulling this stunt off would be for publicity.

B

I thought I would point this out as we had a discussion about something similar recently in another thread:

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2008/04/apple_vs_apple

This sounds a lot like Apples threat to sue anyone using the word "podcast".

As a native New Yorker, I have one word for Mr. Jobs..........

FAHGETABOUTIT!

Edited by irregularjoe

Thinking about this again from a trademark point of view... perhaps they are just doing it to reserve the right to protect their mark because if they didn't and someone released something with a much more infringing logo, then they could turn and around and say to Apple you lost your right to the mark when you let "so and so" use it.

B

Thinking about this again from a trademark point of view... perhaps they are just doing it to reserve the right to protect their mark because if they didn't and someone released something with a much more infringing logo, then they could turn and around and say to Apple you lost your right to the mark when you let "so and so" use it.

B

That sounds reasonable, until you consider what LOSING lawsuit after lawsuit might do to their trademark rights. "You haven't been able to defend the use of: "An Apple" -- under any circumstances, so you lose your right to the trademark."

I'm inclined to believe it's the insular corporate culture there. "Hey, WE'RE Apple!" What's next? A trademark suit against the fruit itself?

B

That sounds reasonable, until you consider what LOSING lawsuit after lawsuit might do to their trademark rights. "You haven't been able to defend the use of: "An Apple" -- under any circumstances, so you lose your right to the trademark."

I'm inclined to believe it's the insular corporate culture there. "Hey, WE'RE Apple!" What's next? A trademark suit against the fruit itself?

They don't have to vigorously go after NYC at all. In fact, they probably won't even go to court. Fact is they're still looking after their mark and that's all that really matters.

B