Good morning! Does anyone have an idea on how to transfer files, address book, etc from a XP computer that only boots up in safe mode? I went and bought a new lap top with Vista business. The old computer won't let me install "easy transfer" from Vista while in safe mode. Thanks, Rick

Why not just manually transfer the stuff you need? what email program do you use?

I agree with Shanenin:

If you manually move DATA that you want from machine to machine, you should be OK, but ONLY the DATA - Vista may or may not support some of the programs that XP does, and if you run into that problem, you will have the data that belongs to that program.

Vista's default email program is Windows Mail, which is totally different from Outlook Express and Outlook 2000-2002. I was able to move my moms mail, but it took a while to do so, and you just can't simply move mail if you used Outlook to Windows Mail, because there is no way to take *.pst files from outlook and just import them - you have to do it a different way.

Just fyi :)

Brian

On your old PC run Sfc /scannow and also make sure all devices are listed. Might have a device that is causing the trouble and you just need to remove it from Device manager to load in Normal mode. Also while you there(SAFE MODE) run your Anti Virus program.

Why are you trying to do this in Safe Mode?

Safe mode is the only thing my 4 year old Vaio will open with. Apparently there's a video driver or card problem and I'm scared to death of losing my info so I bought a new Vaio and am trying to transfer the info that I have. I have about 600 contacts and all these have to sync to my Treo. In safe mode the old Vaio won't let me do much of anything. I have been using Microsoft Office/Outlook 2003 for all my mail. If I had hair I'd pull it out!

Your Old PC might just have a problem with the graphics card drivers. Remove the Graphics card from Device manager if there is a problem with it. Yellow or Red ! next to it in Device Manager. Anything you remove the PC with try and install on Reboot. It wont loose any of your files.

if you are using Outlook, all of your mail and contacts are stored in a .pst file. All you need to do is copy this file. Once you get this file you can transfer and import it into you new Vista computer, which will need to have Outlook installed.

Does it allow safe mode with networking?

If not you know that the driver / software causing the problem is related to networking .

You could also try one of those USB quick connect devices and then while in safe mode, run its software and see if you can load and configure it manually.