Very strange, I plugged in a USB stick to install some software today and the software ran and installed without any problems. To my surprise a few minutes later

the USB stick looked empty (nothing was inside, no files, folders) But when I go to its properties it still sees the used space and how much I have left (the old

amount). Maybe theres a chance my files are still there? What should I do?

Very strange, I plugged in a USB stick to install some software today and the software ran and installed without any problems. To my surprise a few minutes later

the USB stick looked empty (nothing was inside, no files, folders) But when I go to its properties it still sees the used space and how much I have left (the old

amount). Maybe theres a chance my files are still there? What should I do?

Have you tried to reboot your PC? Can you try that device on another PC? I have a Jump drive and when I first got it, I backed up all the files on it to my hard drive. Good thing I did since it has lost those files 2 times and I just copied them back and it worked again. You might be able to download the files needed by yours off the INTERNET.

Edited by lefty1953

I like the INTERNET part, yes I have tried other PC's approx 3 others to be exact. Would you guys reccommend a file recovery program? or maybe get a new USB stick?

...I've had this 4 GB on for about 1 1/2 years and I don't think the nand chip has gone bad. I've only filled it up max maybe twice so there should still be a lot of life on it right?

I like the INTERNET part, yes I have tried other PC's approx 3 others to be exact. Would you guys reccommend a file recovery program? or maybe get a new USB stick?

...I've had this 4 GB on for about 1 1/2 years and I don't think the nand chip has gone bad. I've only filled it up max maybe twice so there should still be a lot of life on it right?

I use RecoverMyFiles on a regular basis. It works great. Just a couple of days ago I forgot to back up 200 pictures on a client machine I was working on. After a full format and reload, I was able to recover all of the files(man I got lucky). Recovermyfiles allows you to try the program, if it is able to get the data, you can then pay the money which allows you to save the data. I have never tried it, but a fellow tech friend has used it on sd cards. You have nothing to lose by trying the program. You only have to pay if it gets the data back.

recover my files didn't work it only lists the current files I ahve on the USB stick...But in explorers properties it still shows I have used up 3.2 GBs when in fact I only have 5 MBs worth of files on the stick.

What is there to do? What options do I have?

recover my files didn't work it only lists the current files I ahve on the USB stick...But in explorers properties it still shows I have used up 3.2 GBs when in fact I only have 5 MBs worth of files on the stick.

What is there to do? What options do I have?

Sounds like the issue where you save to many files to a USB drive root.

It has to do with the FAT addressing used, and just like with a floppy you can actually fill the table of contents long before you fill the drive and the result is a drive which acts corrupted and shows invalid results as to how much space is there and what files.

One solution is to copy from the drive to a folder on your hard drive, re organize things and then format the drive and move stuff back.