Parents Pc Turns Off Right After Start Up

Hi all,

Well my parents PC just turns off right after the Windows XP screen comes on. I tried using last know good configuration a few times with the same affect. My next thought was too boot into Safe Mode and to see if I can find a virus or something. Same thing, right after loading the drivers, shuts down. All I can think of is it might be over heating, but I dunno. I have done my best to spray all the dust out of the tower, and that worked for some time, but now its back to its old issues. Any thoughts or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

It just plain shuts off and doesn't reboot?

Mark

Mhmm, just turns off. No reboot.

Will look when I get home TheTerrorist_75.

The PC was a new HP when we got it, and it is a little more than 3 years old.

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22
It just plain shuts off and doesn't reboot?

Mark

Mhmm, just turns off. No reboot.

Will look when I get home TheTerrorist_75.

The PC was a new HP when we got it, and it is a little more than 3 years old.

HP/Compaqs use crappy BestTec power supplies that have a high failure rate.

Well I opened the PC up again to dust a lil bit more. Got a lot of dust of the CPU cooler chich could have been blocking a majority of the air flow.

No leaking capacitors from what I could see.

I also looked at the PSU, and it wasn't BestTec for sure; just can't think of the name.

if it shuts down in safe mode

i suggest you have a hardware problem

check your video drivers

and sound card drivers

also this happened to me

make sure your hardware is seated properly in the slots

marty

Well I opened the PC up again to dust a lil bit more. Got a lot of dust of the CPU cooler chich could have been blocking a majority of the air flow.

No leaking capacitors from what I could see.

I also looked at the PSU, and it wasn't BestTec for sure; just can't think of the name.

I would suspect the PSU is still an el cheapo. HP/Compaq would use a standard ATX/mini-ATX PSU so it should be easy to test with another.

IF I have a chance I'll check the PSU again.

But re-cleaning the CPU fan seemed to work. Hasn't turned off in 3 days!

Now that seems to be fixed, but now we're having problems with Outlook Express. :angry:

Then it sounds like dust buildup was causing the fan to slow down and the motherboard safety was kicking in and cutting power to prevent the CPU from frying because it could not be cooled adequately.

Cleaning solved it but keep an eye on things just in case. You may find the fan was damaged and needs replacement so if you notice noises from it you will want to get a fanspeed and temperature monitoring program to help determine if you need to replace it right away.

What problems are you having with OE? Did it freeze up while running ? If so some of the files in use could have been damaged or lost.

Ya I am thinkin that the problem was due to the dust.

Now with Outlook Express, what happens is you double click on the icon, and the splash screen loads. It freezes on the splash screen. The only way to get out of it is to restart.

When I clean out the case I pay special attention to the PS,Memory CPU/Cooler and then the Hard Drives, Floppys and CD Roms. I have an older HP with the original PS and not had any problems as long as I keep it clean inside.

I also blow out all fans and even to the extent of making them spin. Not hard though.

Edited by lefty1953

Try creating a new identity after backing up the old email and remove the problem identity. If it opens then try transferring the emails into the new account.

You could also disable the splash screen in the registry. Remember to back up the registry!

delete the one you have on your desk top

then go to start search type outlook express

and right click the blue icon

and send to your desk top

you make a fresh appli

you will have to reconfigure your email account

user name p-word ect

marty

Well I tried the following from your link terrorist, but the hourglass just sits there for at least an hour. Im gonna let it run through the night to see if that helps. How long should this normally take?

Try opening OE again. If it starts without error, try importing your mail folders.

Click File| Import| Messages| Microsoft Outlook Express 6.

Select Import from a store folder and click Browse.

Navigate to the New Folder on the Desktop.