Question About Acronis Image Backup.....

My HD is set up with two partition C: and D:. C has XP installed and D is just for data. Now I want to clone the image of C to D. The question is that do I need to create another partition within D for the image? Or that image will coexist with other data if I just clone C to D because I don't want to lose data that are already on the D: drive. Thanks.

I'm just now learning Acronis, myself. I would assume if you're going to ghost the image you would do it on a separate partition. In other words, split your D partition into 2partitions

Mark

Or that image will coexist with other data if I just clone C to D because I don't want to lose data that are already on the D: drive. Thanks.

The image is just saved as a file. It will coexist with your other data.

Or that image will coexist with other data if I just clone C to D because I don't want to lose data that are already on the D: drive. Thanks.

The image is just saved as a file. It will coexist with your other data.

Thanks, shanien. I meant to ghost the whole C: drive. I thought I just read somewhere before that I should ghost to the same size partition as to the C:? That way there is less trouble when restoring the image because everything is exactly the same. Any comment?

Do you just want to make a perfect image of your C: drive in case you need to recover it if something goes wrong? If you tell Acronis to back up your C drive, it will backup just the data on the partition to a file. If you C drive is 80GBs but you are only Using 10GBs, then Acronis will make an image file that is less then 10GBs because it compresses it. Once you have this file made, you can do lots of things with it: you can restore your original C drive if it gets corrupt, you can make a clone to another drive, you can even use that image to restore your C drive to a larger harddrive.