Hi,

I have an E-machine and I get the following error when I try to boot up my computer <windows root>\system32\ntoskrol Then when I put in my boot CD from e-machine (does not have a windows Cd-only boot CD) I get this message XMS Driver not installed haltng boot. I really need to be able to at least get all the info off of my computer and would love for it to work again. I greatly appreciate any advice you can offer. Also my keyboard and mouse do not seem to be working. I cant get into bios or anything...

-Albert

Edited by sevenstarr
Hi,

I have an E-machine and I get the following error when I try to boot up my computer <windows root>\system32\ntoskrol Then when I put in my boot CD from e-machine (does not have a windows Cd-only boot CD) I get this message XMS Driver not installed haltng boot. I really need to be able to at least get all the info off of my computer and would love for it to work again. I greatly appreciate any advice you can offer. Also my keyboard and mouse do not seem to be working. I cant get into bios or anything...

-Albert

Are you sure you do not mean ntoskrnl rather than ntoskrol???

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

>NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt.

Note that one of the possible causes is a keyboard short

>This issue has also been known to be caused by a short in the ground wire in the keyboard cable.

If you have a wireless keyboard it could also be caused by a short in the USB or a short in the reciever.

I would definitely try with a different keyboard (preferably PS2 ) first and then if that is not it, try a repair install.

for the second error I guess you mean

XMS Driver not installed halting boot

The XMS driver refers to the Extended Memory Manager (Extended Memory Specification driver) . If you have more than one stick of RAM it can be a problem with the RAM. Often RAM which is compatible enough to run during normal operation is not good enough for an install bizarrely enought. Removing all but one stick solves the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q109845/

So hope it is bad or mismatched memory chips and not a bad cache on the cpu.