Today I ran into a problem with the Thinkpad A31, the screen is completely black and nothing shows on it, neither the IBM logo nor the boot screen for the bios, when I turn on the laptop it remains silent, and doesn't give any type of sounds, although one of the times I tried it gave me 4 beeps then stopped then gave me other 4 beeps and that was it, nothing else happened and the screen remained black, does anyone know what kind of problem could this be? or if it's possible to fix it?

Have you changed anything recently, like adding the memory from the other Thinkpad? Has liquid been spilled on it previously?

No and Yes, what I did was open it up, and take out the RAM memory from the A31, after checking how much there was I put it right back in, I didn't switch it with the memory on the R40 at all, and there hasn't been any liquid spilled onto the A31.

Edited by intocomputing2

it sounds as if the memory is not seated properly. I would take it out and reinsert it. Make sure it is in all the way. I suppose you may have a piece of dust messing up your connection. you may want to blow out the memory slot.

edita added later//

with some ibm think pads, 4 beeps refers to a low battery. Do you have it plugged in?