Need Recomendation On 2 Products

My Thinkpad-R40 -2681 laptop runs kind of hot after about 15 minutes of use, since I will be using it for college I'd like to take good care of it, I've seen one of my friends use some sort of cooling base for her laptop, and I'd like to know what brand would you recommend, also I'm curious as to know what is the safe limit amount of time a laptop can run without a cooler base.

The second product I'd like some recommendations is OCR. I usually have to read a lot, and therefore I take a lot of notes, I want to keep them on my computer, and I was thinking of having my note pages from my notebook scanned so I can keep them in the original state, I thought about using a word processor at first, but then I discarded the idea due to the fact that I would have to write everything over again and I'd have to find out how to place diagrams, and many other graphics that it would only take a sec to do with my hand. Basically, what I want is to write in my notebook and then transport that entire page to my computer. Do you think I would need OCR software to obtain decent images? if so what kind of OCR would you recommend? I've seen Omnipage and ABBYY FineReader OCR are some of the most popular, but I wonder what are the advantages of OCR software over just using a simple scanner and have the images in your PC as JPEGs?

The advantage of OCR is the ability to convert to text and edit/add/remove/etc. I haven't had much luck with OCR apps, but im not the neatest writer. Since you're a college student I would buy the Microsoft Office suite for $60. It has what you're looking for built right in.

I'm not such a power user of Microsoft Office so perhaps I overlooked it, which one of the programs in the office suite are you referring to? I don't remember word, excel or powerpoint to have this option, or am I missing something?

Edited by intocomputing2
You'd use Microsoft Office Document Imaging. I know it's included in ultimate. Not sure about the lower levels.

really? I don't see it in the post in this link!

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101674121033.aspx

:rolleyes:

Type "OCR" into the search box.

MS ODI is usually found under the miscellaneous "Tools" section (in the Start menu) . All that link lists are the major programs. ODI is most likely used in conjunction w/ Word. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bubba Bob

Do you know that actual temps that the Laptop is running. Try using SpeedFan to find out. Mine was overheating bad so I had no choice but to open it and apply new thermal paste to the Processor. It runs far cooler now (Old Idle was above 60C and current idle is around 42C with load temps never breaking 60). As for the OCR, I think the Microsoft app is OneNote cause that's what I see in my Office 2007 folder. I don't use it though cause I type all my notes due to my horrid handwriting.

As for the OCR, I think the Microsoft app is OneNote cause that's what I see in my Office 2007 folder. I don't use it though cause I type all my notes due to my horrid handwriting.

I actually thought of doing that at the beginning as well, but later on decided not to, because I'm used to add flowcharts or group my notes using diagrams to relate one idea to the other, I suppose that you can do the same using software, but when I'm doing it on the fly like in class it really doesn't give you much time, this is why I thought of either scanning my notes or using OCR, so I can have them all together, and use them as reference when I go on into more advance courses and I need to quickly freshen up on the basic stuff.

Oh I've run mine for hours on end when I didn't feel like using the desktop and it never got hotter than 56C (which for my laptop is perfectly acceptable as well). It kept the same temps the whole time it was running (note that this was after the reapplication of thermal paste to the processor, HP globbed too much on out of the factory).

• 2 weeks later...