Watch Content On T.v From Pc?

Hi, I'm looking for a device that will allow me to watch downloaded content on my big screen T.V in the living room, The TakeTV by ScanDisk is great but 8 GB is not enough. Media Centre PCs are great but I have no idea where to start (want to build my own pc and use it with software like MythTV or Media Centre software) what are my options, I would like to stream if I can or store it and watch/listen to my content. Now the content would include ripped DVDs, music, pictures etc... I believe my 100Mb connection would be sufficient.

Thanks in Advance for the replies.

To keep it simple, any computer with a video card that supports widescreen should work. I used a sempron 2200 system for just this for a long time. That was enough power with exception to some high-def media(for example .mkv). For the video, all you need to do is connect it to the computer with a vga or dvi input on the tv. For the audio use the audio out on the computer to audio in on the tv. You may need to get an adapter to make the connection.

After the tv is hooked up, just use "Winodws Media Player" or "VLC" to watch your media. I use a cordless keyboard which has a built in mouse. This is really needed to navigate around.

The media center pc is also configured to record live tv and play it back. In your case that is not at all needed. Just playing back media is much simpler to do. The p4 system you will be using should be fine for most media, with exception to some hi-def media

Actually that should probably be able to handle HD .mkv's. I have a laptop with a Celeron 440M that can handle HD. Even my old Mobile Sempron 2800+ Laptop could handle HD .mkv's. The the vids are 720p 1280x720.

I use S-Video out to my old 27" CRT FlatScreen Sanyo. I've kinda quit doing that though cause of the hassle. I just watch all my anime and stuff on my main computer on its 19" LCD. Lot easier to start videos and control them on it.

If your TV has a VGA or DVI in then you could use that to hook your computer up. No Media Center required. Also, I've found that a really good player for this kind of use is Zoom Player. Easy to use controls that be operated both via Keyboard or Mouse.

I couldn't imagine not having a computer hooked up to my tv. We put all of our owned DVDs amoung other media for easy access. My friend has an array with over 6 Tbs of media using windows raid 5. He is upgrading it soon to 11tbs using raid6. I will never run out of media to watch

Hi, I'm looking for a device that will allow me to watch downloaded content on my big screen T.V in the living room, The TakeTV by ScanDisk is great but 8 GB is not enough. Media Centre PCs are great but I have no idea where to start (want to build my own pc and use it with software like MythTV or Media Centre software) what are my options, I would like to stream if I can or store it and watch/listen to my content. Now the content would include ripped DVDs, music, pictures etc... I believe my 100Mb connection would be sufficient.

Thanks in Advance for the replies.

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingcatcher

The SlingCatcherâ„¢ digital video player brings the digital age to your TV screen. Using the simple on-screen interface and remote control, you can watch video from a Slingbox, from your PC / laptop, or from virtually any video site on the Internet right on your existing TV.

I have used the slingplayer, which streams stuff from your cable box, satellite tv tuner , and dvd player over your home network (and the internet) to your computer anywhere in the world. Great stuff.