so ime no authority

it has all sorts of goodies on it

now my Question

does any one else use

foxit reader

if so is this a forerunner to make me change to the pro version

and would i be under any obligation

marty

First I heard of their toolbar. I do not use toolbars.

http://foxit.ourtoolbar.com/privacy/

We are committed to the privacy and security of our users. Our software is completely safe to install and use: it is unobtrusive, easy to deactivate and remove, and does not transmit any information in a manner that can identify a user. Unidentifiable statistics are sent to our system regarding usage of toolbar features. The statistics are completely anonymous and do not contain any personal identification. Toolbar users are allowed to disable statistical data transfer at any given time. We do not match individual users with their specific Web or toolbar usage and don't share the specifics with anybody. Most importantly, our software does only what it's supposed to do - help users search and surf more effectively. Moreover, our toolbar:

DOES NOT spy on your browsing habits.

DOES NOT launch pop-up or pop-under advertisements. Our business model is based on displaying sponsored links on search results pages (advertisers pay per click, not per appearance).

DOES NOT "hijack" your searches.

DOES NOT modify pages you visit.

DOES NOT block uninstallation. Our toolbar can be removed in seconds by using a standard uninstaller.

DOES NOT create security holes: The toolbar will not make it easier for other people or programs to access your computer.

DOES NOT and will not sell or rent your email address and other personal information.

From their description page

This add-on is a free toolbar for IE or Firefox that delivers up-to-date Foxit news and upgrades straight to your Internet browser, enabling the user to search the web anytime anywhere, giving easy access to various useful goodies and gadgets.

So new it isn't in many databases yet but here is a full summary of what it does.

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?ui...38-a2fc9a5cb30d

It was added to the Castlecops / Tony Klein / Merijn BHO list only today

08/Jan/2008

TonyKlein's BHO Collection

BHOList by Merijn

CastleCops.com

O 73c7d5b0-7b03-444a-84c7-ce1ba03b5573: tbFoxi.dll, tbFox0.dll, tbFox1.dll - Foxit_toolbar, http://foxit.ourtoolbar.com/ - a Conduit/EffectiveBrand, http://www.conduit.com/Benefits/Default.aspx "Free Community" toolbar - modifies the default IE SearchHook. Some Conduit toolbars are reputed to have a certain adware/trackware functionality.

Listed as Optional Removal , meaning there is no firm evidence to condemn it yet; but that other toolbars from the same developer (conduit / Effective brands) are known to be bad and this one does modify the search hook so it could potentially be unacceptable.

I would say it is too soon to call it safe , and to soon to condemn it out of hand just because the same author has written bad toolbars in the past. But I would not want it on my computer, at least not my primary or business ones.

thanks pete

i didnt have any trouble when i just used it as a reader

but these adons make me a bit wary

this is the first time ive used any other toolbar other than IE

so thanks for the info

marty