Local Area Connection Drops At Least Once A Day

Brian Here:

I posted this on G2G and was wondering if any BT'ers had any suggestions for solving this problem ;)

Brian

Hello all!!

I figured that I would post this here, because I am at a loss to explain this behavior. I have an HP M200y PC running Windows Media Center Edition. What happens is that I have my Local Area Connection on, and at least once a day, my machine will suddenly lose connectivity with the internet. When it does this, it will show a Triangle with a Exclamation point in it, and say that there is "Limited or No connectivity" When this happened on my old macine, I would simply release (ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew) the IP address, but with this new machine, I cannot get the adaptor to renew, and all I end up doing is rebooting the machine. This resets the connection, but I am not sure if there is something amiss on the machine. I have used the same config on at least 2 other machines and it never drops like this......

Any Ideas? If you could help me solve this one I'd be Very Appreciative as it has me stumped because my XP Pro machine never does this - Oh, I have a 1394 connection as well, which mom had to use when she had this machine, but I don't use that to connect.

If I need to provide any other info, please advise

Brian

Does this happen while the connection is active?

A quick release/renew would be to disable then re-enable the adapter.

Mike:

Yes, what it does, is at least once a day, it will just simply have limited or no connectivity - I leave my machine ON and connected, and it will suddenly just drop connection and tell me that it is limited. If I do a "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" it gives me an error, and when I try to do a REPAIR it says that it cannot do it. This never happened with my old machine, so I am wondering if there is something I need to change......

Brian

Try going in to the properties of the network connection then configure for the adapter, now power options. set this to not power off.

If this does not work then I would look at the device upstream from it, either the router or modem going in to a stand by state or possibly warning you it is ready for replacement.

Mike

Try going in to the properties of the network connection then configure for the adapter, now power options. set this to not power off.

If this does not work then I would look at the device upstream from it, either the router or modem going in to a stand by state or possibly warning you it is ready for replacement.

Mike

Mike:

I recently (march 07) replaced my older modem because they thought it was defective, and they sent me a new Westell. I went into Control Panel>Network Connections>Local Area Connections and under Power Management it says

[Checkbox] Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power Checked

[Checkbox] Allow this device to bring this computer out of standby Checked

[Checkbox] Only allow management stations to bring this device out of standby NOT Checked

Shall I simply uncheck both then restart the machine to eliminate the problem? The Westell has NEVER done this on Emmanuel, and she worked without having this problem that my MCE machine does......

Awaiting your reply :)

Brian

Mike

Mike:

I recently (march 07) replaced my older modem because they thought it was defective, and they sent me a new Westell. I went into Control Panel>Network Connections>Local Area Connections and under Power Management it says

[Checkbox] Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power Checked

[Checkbox] Allow this device to bring this computer out of standby Checked

[Checkbox] Only allow management stations to bring this device out of standby NOT Checked

Shall I simply uncheck both then restart the machine to eliminate the problem? The Westell has NEVER done this on Emmanuel, and she worked without having this problem that my MCE machine does......

Awaiting your reply :)

Brian

Yes I would uncheck those boxes and reboot.

• 2 months later...

Just a Note to say that I reformatted my computer a little before Christmas, and this issue appears to be solved - there was a lot of programs on here that may have been part of the problem, but decided to start fresh and reinstall over the holidays. New HP PSC 2410 Printer needed to be installed, so I bit the bullet and reformatted.

Thanks for the help ;)

Brian