Ford Explorer Running Board Options?

When I bought the Explorer it was five years old and in near-perfect condition. Then a few spots of rust showed up, but it was on the running boards so I didn't think it a priority. However, five years later, the boards are rusting through.

A friend and I took one off and took it to a shop that'd fix anything, even if it would only keep you going for a little while longer. He wouldn't touch 'em. "They're shot." It would take too much effort to clean them up, slather on a ton of filler, then paint, only to have them rust again from the inside out.

Replacements, at cost, runs $400 or so. Uh, on a ten year old truck? No.

Something "close" from the manufacturer costs ~$300. Uh, no.

I suspect junkyard replacements will be as rusted since it's inherant in the manufacture and design (not rustproofed from the factory, hangs out in the slush). Why they didn't go with a sturdy metal understructure covered with plastic for cosmetics (as the end-caps are, and they look fine) I don't know (it seems it would've been cheaper to go that route, and we know how cheap manufacturers can be).

I haven't actually researched aftermarket options yet. Anybody know if anyone makes something that'd look decent? Or where I should start looking?

Let's see.... Aluminum diamond plate, aluminum angle, drill, Sawzall, MIG welder....

My thoughts also.

I know guys that made front and rear bumpers from pipe. They left a small hole in it, poured a couple quarts of oil into it then rolled the pipe around to get a good coating inside.

Or they would fill the pipe with cement.

Mike

A couple nerf bars would look nice. POwer coated nerf pairs usually start at $200 for a pair or $400 for chrome... Not a bad deal.

Yeah, that's getting up there into OEM-replacement cost territory though.

Saw too many newer Explorers (mine's a '97, thinking of '00's I've seen as recently as yesterday) that have rusted or rusting running boards to believe I'd find any good used ones (or any that would last much longer).

I have the technical skills to produce a homemade version, but not the artistic skills. It'd look ... well ... homemade.

Another option is to remove them altogether. When we removed the tube there remained three large, homely looking brackets. Didn't crawl under further to see how much work it'd be to remove the brackets (it all seems so overengineered for something that's basically a glorified "step"). I actually used to look down my nose at trucks with boards, bars, steps, etc. thinking they interfere with off-road capability, but like any luxury, once you get used to having it you don't want to give it up.

If I remember/have the time I'll start lookin' online to see what my replacement options are.

-----

I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to simply do a web search for EXPLORER SPORT REPLACEMENT RUNNING BOARDS. Sometimes I'm so dense.

Edited by JDoors

Unless you can find a good local deal, anything under $200 will be hard to find. How about a couple steps like these...

ats_large_side_step_hero.jpg

They are found at any auto house and are pretty cheap. Not full length, but usefull to the driver and passenger.

Oh, and nerf bars actually help with off road performace. You bottom out on the bars instead of on the frame or vehicle itself.

Edited by Bubba Bob

Yeah, I did the search. Didn't take all day to peruse my options, but from what was on the first results page it seems anything that'd be acceptable to me cost about the same as I can get the OEM parts for (@ cost).

My buddy suggested replacing one at a time so I'm not out a ridiculous amount of money (to me, anyway) all at once.

It's my "frugal" nature, I can justify NOT buying them (it's a ten-year-old truck, they still work, they're not important to the functioning of the vehicle, many aftermarket parts look chintzy, etc.) but find it hard to justify replacing them (umm, they look bad?).

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

When I bought the Explorer it was five years old and in near-perfect condition. Then a few spots of rust showed up, but it was on the running boards so I didn't think it a priority. However, five years later, the boards are rusting through.

A friend and I took one off and took it to a shop that'd fix anything, even if it would only keep you going for a little while longer. He wouldn't touch 'em. "They're shot." It would take too much effort to clean them up, slather on a ton of filler, then paint, only to have them rust again from the inside out.

Replacements, at cost, runs $400 or so. Uh, on a ten year old truck? No.

Something "close" from the manufacturer costs ~$300. Uh, no.

I suspect junkyard replacements will be as rusted since it's inherant in the manufacture and design (not rustproofed from the factory, hangs out in the slush). Why they didn't go with a sturdy metal understructure covered with plastic for cosmetics (as the end-caps are, and they look fine) I don't know (it seems it would've been cheaper to go that route, and we know how cheap manufacturers can be).

I haven't actually researched aftermarket options yet. Anybody know if anyone makes something that'd look decent? Or where I should start looking?

LMC truck (LMCTRUCK.COM) Just sent me a Ford Parts and Accessories Catalog for 83-05 Ranger, 84-90Bronco II, and 91-94 Explorer

I don't see your year or if it is 2DR or 4

But they list aluminum extruded running boards for explorers as $149 for 2dr and $169 for 4 door.

I actually recommend getting their catalog , if they have one for your make and model. Got some exploded view diagrams which do chiltons shame and you can order most frame, body, etc parts ; things you would normally think are junk yard only parts .

Of course, I then take the catalog and go down to the local "your Ford" salvage and replacement parts and use it as negotiating material .

Prices on some things look a little higher than Autozone or Pep boys.

Speaking of which have you checked with them?

I'll check 'em out. Haven't browsed any parts stores ... come to think of it, I haven't been in a parts store in years. The Explorer's only needed the AC and fan belt idler pulley repaired, pretty good for a ten year old plus Ford (Knock Wood!).

I've been watchin' the streets for similar Explorers to see how their boards are holding up. The only ones that still look serviceable are from much newer trucks that use a different design (haven't looked up close, but it looks like they did what I suggested above: Have the entire board covered with plastic over a metal understructure, rather than the painted metal of the older models). Guess if I look for junkyard parts from newer ones and don't mind the entirely different design I might find replacements that are in fair shape (though I bet they'd cost a bundle ... and since I haven't crawled under any of them I don't know if they mount in a similar manner).