Upgrades For Brian - As Of 15:00 Edt Yesterday

Hello Everyone!!

I have some really exciting news to share with my BT family.

Friday afternoon, I got a call from my mom, who was looking for a new PC - She was looking at a couple machines, one being a laptop, and 2 desktop machines - I talked her out of the laptop, because my mom has never used a laptop, and she would not like the way it feels. she got a an HP dual quad Intel VIV Q6600, and this thing has 3 GIG of memory, expandable to 8GB, and a 640GB HDD, and she runs Vista Home Premium -which mom is learning now ;)

So, spent yesterday helping mom with file transfers and answering questions for her, and helping her copy her files over to her machine. That Seagate of mine is really worth it - and by 3PM, I was able to bring my moms old computer, an HP m200y MCE machine home, and was online in about an hour - SWEET!

my specs:

Memory: 1GIG DDR

Processor: Pentium 4 2.40 GHTZ

HDD: 160 Gig

Browser: IE7

Display: HP Pavilion F1703 17" Flat Panel Monitor

I still have Emmanuel, and have retired Defiant, My old PII/400 Machine that ran Win2K Pro, and she was an HP 6470Z with 96 Megs of Ram - She has served me well, and this machine will take her place. Both of my machines now run Pro SP2, so networking will be a snap, and the SPEED is really fast ;)

Now, I can SEE what the heck I am typing, because I think Emmanuel is dying - Video card is showing its age, and the machines drives are wizzing and strange things happen - Now, I should be able to do research my training at a faster rate, and I have already moved critical files over here. This machine has USB 2.0 ports, and that will make everything FAST.

This machine shall be named "Oddessy" - and as some of you know, I name all my machines - This one is a fast one, so I figured I'd choose a name that is cool - with this machine, I will be able to complete the quest of Malware training - and that is something of an odessy (sp) *grin*

Happy, and content I am ;)

Brian

your mum has a very thought son

i made my own compt

with the help of ny son

ok it isnt as good as some of you have

but it does what i want

i migrated from techtv with this machine

with a few adjutments here and there

so your mumn is a very luck person to have

a thought son

good one brian

marty

your mum has a very thought son

i made my own compt

with the help of ny son

ok it isnt as good as some of you have

but it does what i want

i migrated from techtv with this machine

with a few adjutments here and there

so your mumn is a very luck person to have

a thought son

good one brian

marty

Marty:

I was the first in the family to own, use and maintain computers in my house. Mom did not know much about them when she first started, and in fact, told me that she did not even want to know how to turn one on - and I respected her decisions and wishes on this point. Then one day, she changed her mind, and I helped her take care of any questions she had, and she bought her first machine in like 1994 - I gave my mom my first IBM (Epson Equity Ie 8086 machine) computer, soon after I upgraded for the first time, and since then, she has upgraded every few years. I am very fortunate that my mom has upgraded machines as often as she has, and every time she has done this, I have gotten her old machine. Emmanuel was her machine that was the predecessor of this machine, and now mom has a faster machine, and so do I. Mom is indeed a special ;ady, and I am glad that she is my mom - and I always try to help her as much as I can.

A bond between a mother and a son or a father and a son is a very special, and I always try to keep in contact with my parents, because I only have ONE Mom and ONE Dad, and while I may disagree with some of the things that they do/say to me or about me sometimes, I love them dearly and would not trade them for anything in the world ;)

Brian

That's a heck of an upgrade. Nice. I'm the other way around though. I've bought most of mine (and all their parts too) and my parents use MY computers. They use an old (but massively upgraded) Athlon 2600 Compaq I bought about a year and a half ago from my Ex girlfriend. My main rig I paid for too. However, my parents bought my laptop for me (and the last one too) but I chipped in 75 bucks to keep the 1GB memory upgrade in it though.

I name my compies too. The main rig is Xplorer named after the Aspire X-Plorer case it's in. My TV PC is named Ralf in honor of my late grandfather. It used to be his and his first and middle names were Alf Ray (and no neither were short for anything, his name was Alf Ray). And last but not least is the Lappy......I call it Lappy. I have another nickname for it. Rotorious. I bought this thing from Wes, another TennSpeed member. His online name was RotoriousRX7. He also used that name for the owner's name on the thing. Even though I changed it, a lot of things I install I have to change to my name cause RotoriousRX7 keeps showing up so Rotorious is just it's other name.

*I also named my car :P Midori. The color is Midori Green Pearl. Midori is Japanese for Green (which makes the color's name redundant) but it is also a Japanese girls' name.

Edited by Honda_Boy
Hey, you can't beat Hand-Me-Downs from Mom and Dad! :thumbsup:

And welcome, Oddessy! You are in good hands with Brian. May Defiant have a good rest and supply many good parts or be donated to a good home.

Liz

I ended up getting woken up at 6AM EDT this morning, so I have been working since about 7am on migration of files. Moved my mail from Emmanuel to Oddesy, and am in the process of setting up the remaining email accounts over here. I also installed Networking Capability on Both machines, and I have shared folders and mapped drives so that I can work from Oddessy or Emmanuel. Since both have XP Pro, it was really easy. I have also networked my HP Photosmart 1315 (I named him JOHN, after my Dad's father, who is my Grandfather), and can access him from the bedroom or livingroom. This is the network I wish I had 5 yeas ago hehehehe ;)

My brother Mike also uses my network, so I will have hm (and have asked him to) make a cat5 cable so he can connect as well. this way, I don't have network wire running all over the floor, which I can either trip on or run over. Then I will have him run it in the drop ceiling and then he can hook it directly. He used to steal Defiant's cable, but that isn't gonna happen anymore, because Oddessy is being used out in the livingroom, and i want to be able to access the net without messing with wires - we put them in, and that is where they will stay ;)

I am happy :)

Brian

Edited by baker7
Hey, you can't beat Hand-Me-Downs from Mom and Dad! :thumbsup:

And welcome, Oddessy! You are in good hands with Brian. May Defiant have a good rest and supply many good parts or be donated to a good home.

Liz

Liz:

No, I can't beat this ;) Mom has really gone the extra mile for me - I was NOT expecting an upgrade of a macine this year, and I have upgraded OS's on Emmanuel as well as to get this new machine - I was shocked when I got the call on friday :)

Oddessy will serve my needs well. I do not belive that there will ever be a day when Oddessy will have to complain about disk space, as she has 160GIGS of total space ;) with her speed, color, and OS, as well as her HP Pavillion F1703 Flat Panel 17" Monitor, I am sure that I will have fun with this one ;)

Defiant was disconnected from the wall and moved off to a shelf on Saturday morning. She served me from 1999-2007 as a backup machine. She will have a rest, and I may restore her to operation because I have files on her D: drive that I want, and it has a JAZ drive that has some files I would like as well :)

Edited by baker7
That's a heck of an upgrade. Nice. I'm the other way around though. I've bought most of mine (and all their parts too) and my parents use MY computers. They use an old (but massively upgraded) Athlon 2600 Compaq I bought about a year and a half ago from my Ex girlfriend. My main rig I paid for too. However, my parents bought my laptop for me (and the last one too) but I chipped in 75 bucks to keep the 1GB memory upgrade in it though.

I name my compies too. The main rig is Xplorer named after the Aspire X-Plorer case it's in. My TV PC is named Ralf in honor of my late grandfather. It used to be his and his first and middle names were Alf Ray (and no neither were short for anything, his name was Alf Ray). And last but not least is the Lappy......I call it Lappy. I have another nickname for it. Rotorious. I bought this thing from Wes, another TennSpeed member. His online name was RotoriousRX7. He also used that name for the owner's name on the thing. Even though I changed it, a lot of things I install I have to change to my name cause RotoriousRX7 keeps showing up so Rotorious is just it's other name.

*I also named my car :P Midori. The color is Midori Green Pearl. Midori is Japanese for Green (which makes the color's name redundant) but it is also a Japanese girls' name.

Very Interesting - My parents have been very generous, and I help them as much as I can. Emmanuel is Named for my Late Grandfather (My Mom's father) who I consider to be a very hard working loyal, curteous, loving man, who gave of himself to help others, and loved all of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren dearly, and instilled in me the fact that I can do anything I set my mind to, and he did NOT treat me any different then any of the other grandchildren, and he said that my disability makes me special, and that I had to work harder to get to my goals in life, but I would get there.

My Printer is named after my Grandfather John (My Fathers Dad). It is appropriate, because Grampa Baker's profession was sign painting and neon signs ;) Grampa has knowledge of fonts and sizes and all that cool stuff, and it was because of his gentle guiding hand that my printing got better, and that I was able to space out my words - watching him work was a pleasure, and his skills were amazing.

Now that Grampa Baker has retired, he can relax and enjoy what life has to offer. I am proud of him, and in a way, I wish that I could have been able to work as hard as he did, because it shows that family is important, and the love of a family is special indeed :)

Brian

I name my computers also. None of which can be reprinted here :lol: :lol:

Mark

hehehehe :lol: - we can only immagine hhehehe

Brian