Ie7 Unavailable On Windows Update

From the IE7 download site; Automatic Updates distribution process

To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft is distributing Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates. Distribution of Internet Explorer 7 by Automatic Updates will take several months to complete.

Might be a fix or patch being implemented at present so they shut down the feed.

To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft is distributing Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates. Distribution of Internet Explorer 7 by Automatic Updates will take several months to complete.

Might be a fix or patch being implemented at present so they shut down the feed.

My question is: Why is M$ now gonna force people to download IE7? There are still some sites where IE6 is the only way that you can view them, and the main reason I have not upgraded to IE7, is because there are some sites I visit that don't support IE7 as of yet, and they state that when you enter - strange that some sites don't like IE7 - would have upgraded if it were not for those sites......

Brian

I think we are on a different page. For the last week, IE7 is not available as a critical or non critical update at all. You can only get it by going to the the Microsoft download center. I have done about 7 reloads, and have not had the option to get it though "microsoft update"

They are rewriting the IE7 program. The are taking WGA out of it so it will load on copies of windows that are not legit. You wonlt have to verify with M$ to get it.

They are rewriting the IE7 program. The are taking WGA out of it so it will load on copies of windows that are not legit. You wonlt have to verify with M$ to get it.

Really?

Is Uncle Bill's conscience starting to bother him? The way things have been going, I thought WGA would soon be a requirement for citizenship.

Edited by irregularjoe

WGA was dropped from IE7 about a week ago now. An updated version through manual downloading will have v7.0.5730.13 as the version number. I got IE7 with WGA some time ago so my IE's version number does not match this one, but I still receive the critical hotfix updates.

Microsoft provides a tool to prevent IE7 downloads through Automatic Updates.

WGA was dropped from IE7 about a week ago now. An updated version through manual downloading will have v7.0.5730.13 as the version number. I got IE7 with WGA some time ago so my IE's version number does not match this one, but I still receive the critical hotfix updates.

Microsoft provides a tool to prevent IE7 downloads through Automatic Updates.

Falcon1986:

Does this mean that WGA will be eventually a piece of history for All Windows Products? I would think that with all the problems I have heard about with WGA, that they may decide to abandon it altogether for all Windows OS's that currently use it?

Wondering......

Brian

Brian, my kids have IE7 and I don't like it. Hoping automatic update for IE7 will be able to be unchecked if using "Custom Install". Really don't want it forced on us

Liz

Liz:

I have a new machine, that has IE7 on board, and I THINK I will like it a little better, because I can now use tabs: Oddessy, being the new machine, with faster processor and more memory will have 7, and Emmanuel will have 6. I also need 6 to access a couple sites ;)

Brian

No, I don't think we are seeing the end of WGA.

It has to do with the browser wars going on. I think I read about it on Digg.

M$ wan't to up the anty because all other browsers are free and easy to get. Also with some of the new security features to help keep people safer. But the first part in more the reason. Making M$ products #1.

M$ wan't to up the anty because all other browsers are free and easy to get. Also with some of the new security features to help keep people safer. But the first part in more the reason. Making M$ products #1.

The only problem that I see with this, is that if M$ uses WGA, it could be problematic for things that are available as seprate downloads. By all means, make Windows Activation a requirement, but from what I read, WGA can cause problems if the user gets a new machine, and cant authenticate, because the servers are down or messing up - think I heard that there were lots of users who now have "ungenuine windows" OS's because of the glitch.

I believe M$ fixed these glitches, but they are a pain to deal with ;(

Brian

The only problem that I see with this, is that if M$ uses WGA, it could be problematic for things that are available as seprate downloads. By all means, make Windows Activation a requirement, but from what I read, WGA can cause problems if the user gets a new machine, and cant authenticate, because the servers are down or messing up - think I heard that there were lots of users who now have "ungenuine windows" OS's because of the glitch.

Brian

20% false positives. M$, take your wga and ___________________.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by irregularjoe

Brian

20% false positives. M$, take your wga and ___________________.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't think that WGA works that well if you consider that 20% False positive rate - Look at the 1% of the population who have now been branded as pirates. I own all my software FREE and CLEAR and can legally use it all - even if there is a 1% piece of the pie that are experienceing the problems described, thats a LARGE problem that "Uncle Bill" will have to solve

Brian

Edited by baker7