Credit Card Tickin' Me Off

(I know some of you probably don't use cards -- Good for you.)

I have been reading how credit card companies are screwing people over but took it with a grain of salt since A.) They've never screwed me over (without my acquiescence) and B.) I know how people put themselves in bad situations then blame everyone else for their troubles (like managing their debt poorly then blaming the credit card companies for hiking their rates).

I get my Discover bill and there's a "late charge" on there. Say what? I've had Discover since Discover was created and I've never been late. I look into it. I sent the payment ten days before it was due yet it was credited two days after the due date (and cleared the bank a day later).

Now everyone makes fun of the post office but I do not for one minute believe it took over ten days for them to deliver that letter, hence I believe Discover had possession of my money but for whatever reason did not credit my account until, coincidentally, it was late enough to charge a late fee (what credit card companies in general have been accused of doing).

Great. Now I have to call them and deal with that whole "customer service" thing. I already know what's going to happen, what's going to be said, it's just a matter of going through the motions until I get what I wanted in the first place, which they could have taken care of in two minutes but due to poor service it will take a half hour or more, and which could have been avoided entirely had they used the term "service" literally and checked my past record and not charged me for one late payment in twenty or thiry years, or however long Discover's been around.

It does go almost exactly as I anticipated; "para Espanol, etc.", "Press one for, etc.", after tons of irrelevant computer-generated options I finally get the option to speak to a human (which I knew for a fact I would have to do from the very start, why not give me that option in the beginning? But anyway, I knew that's how so-called customer service works, just venting).

Operator A (from "... our Arizona Customer Service Center" thankyouverymuch) can take the charge off ... Ok ... "Will that be all?" Um, "Does this affect my account in any other way?" Just in case there was something I hadn't though of. Heck yeah! They jacked up my rate too! If I hadn't asked I wouldn't have noticed for some time! I went from being furious to being absolutely livid. "Transfer me to someone who can close the account." I knew the first person you talk to can't (or won't) close the account (like I said, I knew exactly what you have to go through). After she "blah-blah-blah-ed" for a while I insisted I wanted to close the acccount and she transferred me to "... our Utah Customer Service Center," thankyouverymuch.

I explained to Operator B what had occurred with my account but hadn't yet mentioned I intended to close the account when he dropped my interest rate to BELOW what I was paying originally. NOW what could I say? "Err, uh, ahh, OK?"

Since I essentially knew how it would go there are only a couple of things to say; I appreciate that both operators answered immediately (would that have occurred had the call center been in India?), and while I knew I would have to jump through computerized phone hell to get what I wanted at least they knew how to defuse the situation in the end.

Another thing: I spent quite some time transferring all my automated payments from Discover to another card. I had used Discover for everything both automated and online so everything like that was on one card, but they're not getting any more business from me.

Customer service? :angry:

My daughter finally wanted to get a land line. AT&T changed the appointment 3 times, plus their window is 8am to 8pm. Customer service was rather aloof with her. When she made a comment on it, and the lady responded, "Well, you're not a customer yet".

Mark

Yeah, I have similar complaints about credit cards. My main beef with Master Card is that I get my statement so late it is impossible to mail in a payment without getting a late charge. I've given up. I go in person to pay may credit card statements.

They seem to be maximizing profits by racking up fees.

I am fixing to go to war with Master Card.

Went to check my balance to see if I could swing a new toy I want and they showed my last payment as late.

So I went and looked at my checking and my account was debited the day before my due date.

While I had my card account on screen I called customer service and told them about it.

Before my eyes, the late fee disappeared, my credit line dropped from 15,000 to 500 and an overdraft fee appeared on my $502 balance.

I cut up my cards over 10 years ago. I got caught up with all the fake charges and the like. My credit history was going down the tubes (literally).

And since have been doing the same as TT. If I really need it. I get a loan from my bank.

Just last year the wife and I decided to get a second car. (a little used SUV). The bank told me no problem. Went to the Chevy lot and found a nice used one. The salesman asked if they could finance it. They could do better then the bank, (not so...But)

Not knowing just what my credit rating really was I told them ok if they could do better. But to keep in mind that I already have the OK from my bank and I have no trade-in or down payment.

He came back after less then 5 minutes and informed us that with my credit rating, we could buy anything setting on the lot they had. no trade-in, no down payment. And started pushing the big new SUVs on us. We took the one we first seen. A nice 2000 chevy SUV with 79000 miles on it. We still went through our bank to get it.

Then I decided to check my credit rating online like advertised. I about fell out of my chair. I thought you had to be rich to get that type of score. But it was in just keeping everything paid up and not getting into the credit card trap.

getting rid of them cards was the best thing I ever done.

Customer service? :angry:

My daughter finally wanted to get a land line. AT&T changed the appointment 3 times, plus their window is 8am to 8pm. Customer service was rather aloof with her. When she made a comment on it, and the lady responded, "Well, you're not a customer yet".

Mark

:blink:

That sounds like a Lily Tomlin joke. 8 to 8??? That's not a "window" now, is it? And "you're not a customer yet" is the most bogus response I can recall hearing.

Yeah, I have similar complaints about credit cards. My main beef with Master Card is that I get my statement so late it is impossible to mail in a payment without getting a late charge. I've given up. I go in person to pay may credit card statements.

That was one of the "options" given to me by Discover, "Pay it in person!" Uh, no, how about YOU credit my account once have your grubby hands on my money? How's THAT for an option?

They seem to be maximizing profits by racking up fees.

I am fixing to go to war with Master Card.

Went to check my balance to see if I could swing a new toy I want and they showed my last payment as late.

So I went and looked at my checking and my account was debited the day before my due date.

While I had my card account on screen I called customer service and told them about it.

Before my eyes, the late fee disappeared, my credit line dropped from 15,000 to 500 and an overdraft fee appeared on my $502 balance.

If I got this straight, they dropped your credit limit to BELOW your balance -- then charged you an overbalance fee? Simply stunning. :blink:

------

Well, I'm a loyal customer (and employee, and friend, etc.) through thick and thin, but I have limits. I will 'boycott' a business that screws me over (again, without that acquiescence thing, i.e. I know cards can raise rates for some reasons and accept that particular usery as a fact of having a card). I can name several businesses that eventually went OUT of business, not, of course, because they lost me as an individual customer, but you can bet I feel a certain sense of accomplishment nonetheless ("Serves 'em right!"). :P

Adding fees and charges has become the business model for banks in the past 15 years. This is an accepted way of "earning" income.

It is common practice for these theives to hold payments so that they can tack on extra charges. The onus is then on the consumer/ customer to try to get a refund. They make that prospect so difficult that a lot of people don't bother.

A case in point:

I have a checking account with Compass Bank ( probably the worst for customer service).

The account had been dorment for four months. I did not need to use it. Had a few bucks in it.

I needed to buy some textbooks, so I deposited my S.O.'s check into the account a few days before the purchase to cover it. Went to the book store and wrote out my Compass check for the books. The money had now been in the bank a day and a half.

A few hours later the bank calls me and says that they are putting a 3 day hold on the funds from the check I deposited because my account had been dorment for 4 months. I told them that it had been dormant because I did not need to use it. Isn't that my decision to make? I screamed at them and told them what they could do with the account. I found out that later that day they called my S.O. to verify that she gave me the check. Of course she did. By the way, this was a local check, same city.

Knowing that the funds now would not be available if the textbook charge went through that night, I ran down to the bank and deposited cash to cover the books.

I called Compass again and told them that I deposited cash. They assured me that doing so would certainly be a way of avoiding any fees.

The following Monday I check the account and what do I find: Even though the original deposit was good and even though I doubled the amount in the account by depositing additional cash, the a$$holes charged me a $40 overdraft fee.

This is all because they placed a hold on my the account that I had for three years even after they verified that the funds were good.

I'm still fighting with them for a refund. They promised one two weeks ago. I haven't seen it yet.

First I thought I would close the account because of their ineptitude and arrogance.

However after giving it some thought, I decided on a better way.

I'm going to leave a balance of 37 cents in the account. Every month or two, I'll deposit a dollar and then immediately withdraw it. This is a free checking account, so I don't have to pay any monthly fees or keep any specified balance in it to maintain the account.

I'll continue this practice for many years.

Every month they have to send me a statement, pay postage, pay someone to maintain the account, etc.

All during this period I will maintain a monthly balance average of 37 cents.

When I have free time I'll also call them on the phone to ask questions about the account, taking more of their time and resources.

I'll also tell everyone I know about Compass Banks disregard for their customers.

I'll have a smile on my face every time I receive the monthly statement for my 37 cent account.

Edited by irregularjoe
... I'll have a smile on my face every time I receive the monthly statement for my 37 cent account.

Somehow I suspect they will have a way to deal with this as you're probably not the first person they've ticked off.

That's about the only thing I have goin' for me financially is my "bank," or rather, a credit union. It's one I joined almost thirty years ago for a place I haven't worked for seventeen years, but with recent leniency given to credit union restrictions I've maintained that account anyway. Everything's free, including overdraft protection (if they can transfer from savings to cover the check). They work with you in every way to satisfy your needs, whatever they might be. On the downside, they're in Washington state (where the company I used to work for is headquartered) and I'm in Illinois, so there's no 'brick and mortar' place to go, but with today's technology (the Internet, debit cards, ATM's, automatic deposits, etc.) that's not been a problem.

... I'll have a smile on my face every time I receive the monthly statement for my 37 cent account.

Somehow I suspect they will have a way to deal with this as you're probably not the first person they've ticked off.

That's about the only thing I have goin' for me financially is my "bank," or rather, a credit union. It's one I joined almost thirty years ago for a place I haven't worked for seventeen years, but with recent leniency given to credit union restrictions I've maintained that account anyway. Everything's free, including overdraft protection (if they can transfer from savings to cover the check). They work with you in every way to satisfy your needs, whatever they might be. On the downside, they're in Washington state (where the company I used to work for is headquartered) and I'm in Illinois, so there's no 'brick and mortar' place to go, but with today's technology (the Internet, debit cards, ATM's, automatic deposits, etc.) that's not been a problem.

We'll see.

I do business with other banks too. None are as incompetent as Compass.

I'll stay there as long as possible just to annoy them. They certainly did that to me.

I've been thinking about a credit union. There are several out here that I'm eligble for.

I remitted full payment with my cut up Master Card 7 years ago. I have never been happier. I now go with the premise if I don't have the cash to buy it, I don't need it.

I don't own a credit card at all, however, I did get a bank VISA DEBIT card to use to buy things. I like it because it is attached to my bank account, and it won't let me overspend. I hate credit cards because they do this garbage to all the young guys who's credit is great, and they give you a 0% interest rate for like 6 months, and then JACK it UP to 20-30%.

For those who can afford to have a credit card I say thats great, but with the darn rates they charge, I say that its really nuts. Basically agree with TT, that if I can't afford to get it with cash or with what I have available in the bank, I won't get it ;) simple as that ;)

Brian

A Brief History Of Personal Credit: First job, couldn't wait to get a card to pay for gas and clothes and be a big boy, always paid balances in full. Lost that job, used credit to keep me off the streets until I got another job, struggled to pay off those debts but eventually did so. Some time later lost a job and was unable to gain employment for a long time, again, credit kept my belly full and a roof over my head. When I finally got a job it was what I call "underemployment," didn't pay enough to live on AND pay off the debts incurred while unemployed, however, for the first time, I loved every aspect of my job so I kept it despite debts piling up, Everest-like. Changed jobs (for reasons unrelated to money issues) to one that paid well enough to start paying down that mountain of debt, but to complicate matters my house is, by now, aging, and requires large expenditures to keep it from falling down around me, so debt repayment's taken a backseat to emergencies once in a while. PAY DOWN DEBTS -- INCUR LARGE EXPENSE -- PAY DOWN DEBTS -- INCUR LARGE EXPENSE. Somewhere in there I'd like to build up a cash reserve for those emergencies ...

Getting into debt was a choice (I could have taken ANY job instead of waiting so long, I could have moved on to a higher paying job that sucks rather than sticking to what I loved while continuing to get deeper in debt, I could let things fall apart until I have the cash-in-had to fix them, etc.), and I'm willing to deal with the consequences, though it's tough to keep up with the changing consequences as credit companies create new ways to screw over their "customers" (I wonder if they even call them that internally, more like "marks").

I'm not sure I would have liked living without credit -- NOW it would be nice to be out of debt but at the time, say when I needed food and had no money? (Well, actually I never bought food on credit, that seemed to me to be stepping over a line, but I did purchase other necessities using credit so I could use what little cash I had for food, with essentially the same result). Or how about when the garage door collapsed and I didn't have enough money to fix it? I like having credit for emergency situations, at this point, without a pile of emergency cash, I can't really imagine living without that safety net.