I got a call from somebody who has not used their computer with the internet for about one year. It was an XP computer with 128mb of memory. It was running so slow, no web pages could be loaded, they were timing out. The first thing I did was to add 256mb of memory. I rebooted and soon the computer was up to 335mb of memory usage with no programs running. I was trying to figure out what was using so much memory. According to msconfig and HJT their was not much of anything running at startup. One microsoft process system32\services.exe was using large amounts of memory and cpu cycles. I also noticed their were about three processes from panda titanium 2005 using over 100 mbs of memory. I'm not exactly sure what processes all belonged to panda. Since panda was expired, I recommended she removed it, and replace it with avg since it is much lighter on your system. After removal of panda and a reboot the computer was just using about 140mb of memory. Somehow panda was using almost 200mbs of memory. It seemed to be making the microsoft process services.exe act crazy, both in regards to memory use and cpu usage also. I don't think panda is normally that much of a hog, something must have been making it act abnormal.

I got a call from somebody who has not used their computer with the internet for about one year. It was an XP computer with 128mb of memory. It was running so slow, no web pages could be loaded, they were timing out. The first thing I did was to add 256mb of memory. I rebooted and soon the computer was up to 335mb of memory usage with no programs running. I was trying to figure out what was using so much memory. According to msconfig and HJT their was not much of anything running at startup. One microsoft process system32\services.exe was using large amounts of memory and cpu cycles. I also noticed their were about three processes from panda titanium 2005 using over 100 mbs of memory. I'm not exactly sure what processes all belonged to panda. Since panda was expired, I recommended she removed it, and replace it with avg since it is much lighter on your system. After removal of panda and a reboot the computer was just using about 140mb of memory. Somehow panda was using almost 200mbs of memory. It seemed to be making the microsoft process services.exe act crazy, both in regards to memory use and cpu usage also. I don't think panda is normally that much of a hog, something must have been making it act abnormal.

Expired or not I would think it would search for updates.

Ohhh, I had a problem with Panda a long time ago. Seems it put a Tracking cookie on your system to "better serve it's customers". Even the free scan leaves it behind. I, for one, don't like anyone tracking me.... It was found by some free program I had installed. SB or maybe Avast.

I have been using Panda since 2002 and haven't had a problem with it regarding resources. When it first starts up it will access memory to check the system then settle down. That tracking cookie didn't send out information to any source outside of Panda. It sent them your system specs and what was found during the scan. Nothing insecure.

Something must have been conflicting with panda and causing it to use such high amounts of memory. Panda would be laughed out of the business if their product was designed to use such a large amount of memory.

That is with the heuristic, firewall, anti-spyware, cookie blocking, email protection, IM protection and many other features running. This is an all in one product, not just a stand alone anti-virus. There are 12 diiferent applications for Panda in the Task Manager with the Anti-Spyware, heuristic and email scanner using 44,000K and the AV Engine using 39,000K. Opera uses 34,000K.

Take AVG anti-virus, AVG Anti-Spyware and Kerio firewall plus some program designed to detect heuristic intrusions and combine their memory usage together and you would have a far higher usage.

The only thing I have backing up Panda is Spyware Blaster which uses no memory.