Install Xp With No Cdrom Or Floppy

I got a laptop to day that is blue screening. The sad part is, I can't get anything to boot from the cdrom. It starts to, but fails as if it is getting read errors. So I am unable to run memtest, or other diagnostic tools that run from a disc. Their is a fair chance a windows reload may fix the problem, but I can't reload windows to see if that will correct it(no cd or floppy). I was going to recommend to my client to have me buy a used cdrom for about $60 off ebay so I could reload windows. A part of me thinks their may be other issues, like the motherboard, so I hate to suggest spending money on a cdrom that is not needed.

I found a work around that will allow you to install XP without a cdrom or floppy. I did a test run, on a different hardrive, I am currently in the middle of trying it on the laptop I am attempting to service. Here is the general idea of what needs to be done.

1. connect the laptop ide drive to my first ide channel of my desktop(need an adapter).

2. format the drive as fat32, then install freedos 7.1 to it.

3. then you copy the i386 folder from an xp install disk to the laptop drive.

4. Now you can replace the drive in the laptop, then boot from the hardrive, which will run freedos. After you get a "c: prompt" you just enter the command "I386\winnt.exe" This will start the 16 bit windows xp installer.

After this is finished, I will convert the drive to ntfs. I will let you know if it completes properly. I don't for see any problems, but........

Edited by shanenin

It should work. I was involved with this same discussion last year at WindowsBBS because of the same situation. Make sure you run all of the diagnostic tools first while it is in your PC. Buying that adapter will probably be an asset down the road.

Buying that adapter will probably be an asset down the road.

I already have one of those. It is an ide to usb adapter. It came with a second piece that allowed me to hook to either a 3.5 or a 2.5 inch hardrive(or optical). It is one of the most used tools I have(besides my philips).

I am currently writing this from the laptop. So far it has not blue screened. I think windows was just corrupted, I got off easy this time.

I just need to edit the boot.ini file to get rid of the dual boot. As of now it defaults to xp after 30 seconds. After looking at the file, it does not make sense to how to change it. I expected to just remove the second operating system, but it has just one listed

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

I also should convert it to ntfs. It is working well, so I am hesitant to screw with it.

edit added later//

it converted without issue.

Edited by shanenin

The strange thing is the cdrom works fine under windows. Does the bios have its own drivers that read the cdrom to allow cds to be boot directly? Could a corrupt bios cause the errors when booting from a cd?

The strange thing is the cdrom works fine under windows. Does the bios have its own drivers that read the cdrom to allow cds to be boot directly? Could a corrupt bios cause the errors when booting from a cd?

I'm assuming it does. Remember back in the day with 95 & 98 the CDROM drivers were on the bootdisk? You don't have to load them anymore. I'm dealing with a machine right now where I can't get any drive to work. Luckily the chip's removable so I could send it out to get flashed

Mark

it is an old xp laptop, with a celeron 1.3ghz. It definitely has support to boot from the cd, it even tries: when I boot from an xp install cd, I get an error about missing ntdlr; when I boot from a linux cd, I get a checksome failed error; memtest gave me another different error. This defiantly seems as the built cdrom drivers in the bios are not working correctly. I suspect a bios update may have fixed it.