Problem With Xp After Exented Idle (non Use-on Screensaver)

Greetings to all the Windows Wizards of Besttechie! I recently had a total harddrive failure and replaced it with a new one I reloaded with the Sony recovery disks,loaded service pack 2 and norton ant-virus I downloaded and installed all Microsoft updates for XP Here's the problem,after exended idle time(overnight) when I try to to get back on it takes a long time to come off screensaver and go to the welcome page( five minutes plus) After the welcome screen another five minutes to desktop. Everything is extremely slow to open if at all If I shut down (even this takes awhile) and reboot it loads and runs like a new machine! Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated P.S. operating system is XP home

Is this a Windows screensaver or one you downloaded? Try a different one and see if it still happens. You also might try turning the screensaver off and see if that makes a difference. I personally don't use one, I just turn my monitor off. Have you downloaded any new programs recently? Also, what do you have your power options set at?

Mark

Edited by garmanma
Is this a Windows screensaver or one you downloaded? Try a different one and see if it still happens. You also might try turning the screensaver off and see if that makes a difference. I personally don't use one, I just turn my monitor off. Have you downloaded any new programs recently? Also, what do you have your power options set at?

Mark

this is the screensaver options that came windows I will try turning off screensaver and see what happens tonight The power settings are always on never turn off anything. As to programs, nothing that I did not have befoe the hdd failure, infact I did not put everything I had before back on

Good news! I removed Norton Anti-virus 2004(even though it had a valid subsciption through 3-2008) and the system works flawless! I shoud have known when XP'S security center had a fit about it. I'm almost tempted to reload it,but if it ain't broke,don't fix it I think AVAST will be fine Thanks all for yall's responses

Good news! I removed Norton Anti-virus 2004(even though it had a valid subsciption through 3-2008) and the system works flawless! I shoud have known when XP'S security center had a fit about it. I'm almost tempted to reload it,but if it ain't broke,don't fix it I think AVAST will be fine Thanks all for yall's responses

I think that after SP2 and a couple of more recent updates there were patches you had to manually download from Norton to fix the common client or it could cause this type of problem. Most of the big manufacturers now suspend support after two or three years because it is so hard to keep patching older non compliant versions.

Best advice is to always use a new version when you can.

I never had any problems with Norton before even after a reinstall about a year an a half ago This problem popped last week when I had to replace the hdd,but like I said,after giving Mr Norton his walking papers the ole compy is working great! I have every anti-spyware and anti-malware progam yall recommend. So between them and Avast anti-virus I think that I will be okay