When We Were Young

... By the way, the farmers in my area are wealthy!! ...

Reminds me of the small town near my Grandma's farm. We were in a store on the town square and this dirty, smelly guy in overalls comes in. The clerk dropped us like a hot potato and went to help the grimy guy. I asked about that and was told ALL the reasons farmers were served first. The one reason that stuck with me was that they had cash (not necessarily my Grandma, but in general) and had arranged to be in town for one reason only: To spend it!

As for impressions one country has of another, well, in the USA we think all Aussies live on the edge of the Outback, carry big-ass knives and wrestle crocodiles (or something like that). Now we KNOW there are every kind of person there, big city slickers, small towners, farmers, etc. But the first image is of Crocodile Dundee -- and we probably won't get that image out of our minds ever. And there are people ignorant enough or ornery enough that they might argue that's all there is to Australia.

Unfortunately, if you asked an average American what people from New Zealand are like they'd likely say, "Where? You mean that place where they wear loincloths and live in the jungle?"

Man, we're dumb. :lol:

I don't know if I can top anyone's story, but let me tell you, life is a challenge. I have Cerebral Palsy, and I can tell you that if ANYONE thinks life is simple for people that have it, it is NOT - It is a challenge everyday. I sometimes use my wheelchair, and have used it in school, and some of the guys think its a "fun thing" to be in a wheelchair, because you can ride around all day and get pushed all over the place, and can GO FAST - man - these guys don't know the half of it!

I was born in the 70's, the decade when they really didn't know much about disabilities, law, etc, and the way they dealt with kids like me was to send them to "training schools" and rehab centers as permanent residents. There, you got your therapy, your food, you schooling and your room and board, but the problem was that you didn't see your parents too much, and that kinda hurt.

Lucky for me, I had my parents, and they wanted what was best for me -they pushed me as hard as they could, they made me realize that because you have a "disability" that there are things you could do for yourself. They sent me to mainstream school, I went through the 3rd grade before they realized I had learning disabilities, then they sent me to a school in a neighboring town that could better serve my needs - I graduated from Graded School in 1987, went to High School, Graduated in 1991 - then to College, where I got my A.S. in 1993 and my B.S. in 1995.

I can only imagine what my poor mom and dad had to go through raising 2 children with disabilities. kids nowadays don't get that a disability does NOT mean that you can't achieve - I am living proof - I don't think we were dirt poor, but we were not rich either - I played in the sandbox, in the water, and got dirty as much as other kids do - but I had to go through surgury and extended residential rehab -working 20 times HARDER then anyone else to make my mark. My parents would NOT allow me to use the "Poor Me" excuse - because for every person like me, there are many that are worse off. I tell these kids that say its "fun" to ride in a Wheelchair that I have friends that:

1. Can't Walk

2. Can't Speak

3. Can't motivate themselves (push thier chairs without assiatance)

4. Can't see

5. are incontenant

6. need assistance with ADL's (Activities of Daily Living)

Then I say to them - lets have you change positions with me for 1 week, and you have my disability. You can take me as I am, or you can have my disability, and add a #5, which requires an aide - you should see thier eyes when they realize that some disabled people are #5+6 and wear diapers :> They quickly realize that it isn't fun anymore.

I had fun when I was a kid - I just wish I didn't get bitched at so much - It makes my years from 10-17 seem like a constant war and half the time I LOST! I had my grandparents, and a large loving family that took care of me, and yes, I was spoiled a little - but I didn't get away with too much, because eventually I'd pay - with the SPOON (wooden that is) :>

....and in the old days, You didn't lip off to your parents, or you would get the belt, or whipped with a hand. I don't know why respect is not as common for those who are older then the younger ones - but I wouldn't be caused DEAD sayin' some of the things kids say today - Hell - If I said "YOU WOULDN'T DARE do (this/that) to me" to my mom, she'd DO it - and I could not swear at my mom, or even use the word "darn" in front of her.

I sometimes wish I could go to a place like Pat who lived on a farm, but I don't think I could have dealt with what she says she dealt with. I can't imagine mom having to change cloth diapers and having to wash all of them - at least we had disposables when I was a lad - easier - since my mom changed diapers for 10 years with my older brother.

Computers are a good thing, but I wish that I could somehow backup and relive some of the fun days we had :>

Brian

Hondaboy, you have the right state of mind! Food on the table, bills paid, and lots of love is all that matters, no matter if you have luxuries or not!

I remember when I discovered our income qualified Son to attend Berea College in Kentucky, which is tuition free for the "desperately poor", and he said,

"I didn't know we were poor"

God Bless him! Poor is a state of mind. Thrifty is also a state of mind. Trick is to decide whether you are poor or thrifty.

By the way, the farmers in my area are wealthy!!

Liz

Liz:

The only people who are "poor" are those who believe it, or those who do not have a loving family to take care of them - Love and family are VERY important to this Vermonter - and so are the farmers who bust tail to make sure that when I go to the store that I can get the milk I need ;) BLESS Sen. Leahy and Sen. Sanders ;)

Brian

I sometimes wish I could go to a place like Pat who lived on a farm, but I don't think I could have dealt with what she says she dealt with. I can't imagine mom having to change cloth diapers and having to wash all of them - at least we had disposables when I was a lad - easier - since my mom changed diapers for 10 years with my older brother.

Brian

Somehow I think you would have handled farm life just fine

Mark

... some of the guys think its a "fun thing" to be in a wheelchair, because you can ride around all day and get pushed all over the place, and can GO FAST ...

I wasn't there, but that sounds to me like they accepted you as YOU, the only difference was you had that wheelchair. Maybe I just like looking at that silver lining ... ?

Guess a lot of us had our burdens, glad you surmounted them as best as you could. Are your parents Saints or something? :thumbsup: