Just Say "hello"

I know how to greet you in Japanese in more ways than what that said.

Ohaiyo (pronounced Ohio basically) - Informal first greeting of the day. Equates to Good Morning

Ohaiyo Gozaimasu - Formal Version

Kon'nichiwa - standard hello

Kunbawa - good evening (I'm just guessing at the spelling on this one)

Oyasuminasai - Full version of Good night

Oyasumi - shortened version.

Tadaima - said when returning from somewhere. Usually said when returning to ones residence but can be used when leaving a room and coming back and other ways. Equates to "I'm Home" or "I'm back"

Okaerinasai - Said to someone returning. Full Version. Equates to "Welcome Home" or "Welcome Back"

Okaeri - Shortened Version

I also know goodbyes, thanks apologies, and many other things. I'll just mention the opposites of the last 2.

Itakimasu - Said when leaving residence. Equates to I'm leaving.

Itadashi - said to person that is leaving. Equates to Have a safe trip or something like that. It really has no real translation. That's just what you say.

And of course the opposite of hello - Saiyonara. A more used form of goodbye is just Ja or Jana.

I'm actually trying to study Japanese on my own since my college doesn't have it. I enjoy learning it. I love speaking it to other people. I still don't know much and lord knows I can't read it but I know bits. I'll leave you with a full thought.

Kon'nichiwa. Watashi wa Honda_Boy desu. Hajimemashita. Watashi wa daigaku-sei desu. Daigaku ichininsei desu.

Hello. I am Honda_Boy. Nice to Meet you. I am a College student. I am a Freshman (first-year is what it really means)

HA!!!

Also, Guten Tag. Good day, in Deustch (German). Or Hidy, how ya'll doin'?. Hello, how are you all doing, in backwoods redneck. :P

I'm chock full of languages ain't I? Made an A in Spanish barely know any though. I know more Japanese. :o

Edited by Honda_Boy

That IS cool, Joe!

And good for you, Hondaboy for taking such an interest in Japanese. Once you transfer to a four year school, most have Japanese Language Classes available, so check it out! My sister in law's mom is Japanese and even though she speaks "pretty good" English, ooooh, when she gets ticked, she slips into "CwazyJapaneseLady". Yup, pretty funny!

A little trivia--when we answer our telephone, we say,

"Hello?"

When the Danish answer their telephone, they say their first name. Pretty handy, you know who you are talking to right off the bat!

Liz

That IS cool, Joe!

And good for you, Hondaboy for taking such an interest in Japanese. Once you transfer to a four year school, most have Japanese Language Classes available, so check it out! My sister in law's mom is Japanese and even though she speaks "pretty good" English, ooooh, when she gets ticked, she slips into "CwazyJapaneseLady". Yup, pretty funny!

A little trivia--when we answer our telephone, we say,

"Hello?"

When the Danish answer their telephone, they say their first name. Pretty handy, you know who you are talking to right off the bat!

Liz

"When the Danish answer their telephone, they say their first name"

That's good as long as you don't mind giving your identity out.

Here's how I answer the phone when getting unsolicited calls:

Ring ring ring ring........

Me: "WHAT!"?

Caller: Is this Mr. So and so?

Me: "WHO WANTS TO KNOW!"

And then I hang up. :lol:

Edited by irregularjoe

My brother usually answers his cell phone or work phone with "This is Chuck". My dad does too with his work phone. His name is Chuck too.

If it's someone I know I usually just say hey. I fI don't know who it is I just say politely, Hello. Sometimes I'll slip Japanese or something in there.

oh I forgot, you say Moshi Moshi when answering the telephone in Japanese or sometimes simply Hai. OR some people will say who they are.

Edited by Honda_Boy