Hey Gang,

Since I've been trying to find the Linux equivalent to all my Windows software, I thought it would be a good idea for a thread.

While there are many choices for software in Linux (realizing probably many more than windows), there still remains the search for the best (or better than) equivalent to Win apps.

It's great that we can enjoy Firefox, Thunderbird, the GIMP, and a few others that are cross platform but a couple things I'm personally looking for are apps comparable to Dreamweaver and Guitar Tracks Pro...which I have yet to find, it seems there is no substitute. <_<

But I guess I'll start the list on what I have found that gets the job done.

GAIM or Kopete = Trillian, in terms of handling the different protocols of several IM clients.

the GIMP = Photoshop (sorta), in terms that it's a very powerful image manipulation software..IMO, there is no substitute for PS though.

X-Chat = mIRC, this is one of my favorites due to how much you can much you can configure the appearance.

XMMS = Winamp, with pretty much identical functions and the fact that you can also use winamp skins (classic not modern, unfortunately) make this a shoe-in for an equal.

GQview = Windows Image and Fax viewer (xp users), this is definitely better than WIFV for viewing image files.

gFTP = a good FTP client....Maybe this is one that I've just stuck with because it's installed by default with Mandrake but it seems like a very good client and simple enough for new users.

OpenOffice.org = MS Office...Another one that is installed by default with alot of distros, but given how great it is, I would've gone looking for it anyway.

So, that's just a few to start the list, please feel free to add or point out a better app than the ones I've listed.

Kaffeine - MS media player replacement

NVU - frontpage replacement

wineX to play MS games

crossover office to use things like quicktime and macromedia MX/Flash/swish and to add windows browser pluging to your linux web browser.

VMware - instaed of dual booting, or you what to play with diffrent linux and solaris systems with out rebooting.

Kdevelop insted of bloodshed or a windows programing ide

Qcad for 2d cad work

evolution email insted of outlook professional version the evolution connector is now opensource so you can use it with windows exchange servers

K3B insted of any windows cd burning software

Qtparted insted of partition magic

ARk insted of winzip

ProZilla is a download accelerator for Linux which gives you a 200% to 300% improvement in your file downloading speeds.

kphone- A SIP user agent for Linux, with which you can initiate VoIP connections over the Internet.

NAS- The Network Audio System is a network transparent, client/server audio transport system. It can be described as the audio equivalent of an X server.

win32codecs- to use with all media players to play wma and othe rwindows propitary formats.

Ardour ---- is a digital audio workstation. You can use it to record, edit and mix multi-track audio. Produce your own CD's. Mix video soundtracks. Experiment with new ideas about music and sound. Generate sound installations for 12 speaker gallery shows. Have Fun. http://ardour.org/

This in is for tictoc5150 , I have been looking for this also as I have 2 adat hd24 trackrecoders and I need a mixdow base.

http://www.skale.org/ another linux muti-track audio program.

both of the above run on winders and linux with the first also being ported to Mac.

I'll come up with more.. in my openion there is no longer a reason to have windows except some games and if notice peopel only play a game for 6 months. most new games are comming out with linux versions. Doom3/UT2004 I belive the next quake and half life 2 are creating linux version. for warcraft there is wineX. which run now Half life 2 world of warcraft, war craft3, sims and most others people now play.