Ie 7 Lose Favorites From Ie6?

Nancy:

First, I can tell you that you CAN save your favorites folder To do this:

1. Double Click on "My Computer"

2. Double Click on your "C: Drive"

3. Double Click on "documents and settings"

4. Double Click on your username folder

5. Find the "Favorites" folder" and double click this folder

6. The Contents of this folder will be displayed.

7. To copy it, simply click "Edit>Select All" and all of your favorites will be selected. Then with all of the favorites files selected, RIGHT CLICK within the Favorites folder and select either CUT or COPY. Cut removes favorites from the favorites folder and places them in the folder that will receive them. Copy makes copies of the favorites without removing them from the favorites folder.

8. Make a New folder for the favoites if you wish - I recommend "favorites_bak" and place it somewhere on your drive OTHER than in your Documents and settings folder. (New>folder) and then type the name.

9. open "favorites_bak and then RIGHT click "Paste" all your favorites should copy to the new folder.

10. Now, you should be able to install IE7, and then find the favorites folder. Simply open "favorites_bak" and COPY the contents back to the Favorites folder in step 5. PASTE the contents there, and it should work.

I use this method to back up Favorites when I have to do backups.

As far as Favorites disappearing in IE7 - here is a link I found doing a Google search:

IE Favorites Center - MSN Blog

I would back up your favorites in IE6 and then try putting them where favorites belong in IE7 - maybe someone other then me has some idea - but thats what I found :)

Good Luck - and I wouldnt upgrade to 7 until you can solve this issue :)

Brian

Edited by baker7

Brian - thanks so much for taking time to give such a thorough answer.

I should have been more clear. This friend of mine already has IE7

--the auto updates downloaded it. She did not know to save the favorites.

I will certainly do this before I get IE7 though. Thanks again! nancy

this must be a general problem withIE7

ive just come from a nzmessageboard

and some one posted this problem

as i dont have IE7 i cant pinpoint the problem

does ie7 have the the menu in right click your start button

properties

check the favourite box

is that not there any more

there will many bugs

that will have to be ironed out

marty

Brian - thanks so much for taking time to give such a thorough answer.

I should have been more clear. This friend of mine already has IE7

--the auto updates downloaded it. She did not know to save the favorites.

I will certainly do this before I get IE7 though. Thanks again! nancy

Your Welcome Nancy! This helped me several times, because I organize my favorites in folders. Backing them up makes it simple to find and restore them.

I may move this to a tutorial because if we have people who want thier favorites backed up, this would be a good tutorial to have.

Brian

Are you sure she's just not confused and doesn't know where to look for them? I use Firefox, but I downloaded IE7 with Win. update. I opened it up and clicked on the star and everything was there, no problem

Mark

Are you sure she's just not confused and doesn't know where to look for them? I use Firefox, but I downloaded IE7 with Win. update. I opened it up and clicked on the star and everything was there, no problem

Mark

Mark:

Is it possible that the reason that favorites "disappear" is because of some "Glitch" with IE7? It seems like the information that I have researched lends creedence to the fact that the way IE7 operates and handles Favorites is significantly different then what you find in IE6 - this is because of the design of the program. There are lots of links that discuss IE7 and the differences and the problems with the browser that you can google. Chief of these is that fact that some favorites disappear after being added.

This is why I am staying with IE 6 until the bugs are worked out of IE7 - I don't make a habit of making either OS changes or browser changes quickly - Unless I can be assured that the browser or OS is stable enough to be able to run without causing errors or crashes. IE7 will not be installed by me until I can be sure that what I have will not "disappear"

Brian

I have revised and rewritten the instructions for Backing up favorites in Internet Explorer 6.

This information has been submiitted to the BT Tutorial Submission Area and is available here:

Favorites: Backing Them Up: Here's How

Please let me know what you all think - I hope that it will be helpful enough to be added to the BT Knowledgebase :)

Thanks

Brian

Mark

Mark:

Is it possible that the reason that favorites "disappear" is because of some "Glitch" with IE7? It seems like the information that I have researched lends creedence to the fact that the way IE7 operates and handles Favorites is significantly different then what you find in IE6 - this is because of the design of the program. There are lots of links that discuss IE7 and the differences and the problems with the browser that you can google. Chief of these is that fact that some favorites disappear after being added.

This is why I am staying with IE 6 until the bugs are worked out of IE7 - I don't make a habit of making either OS changes or browser changes quickly - Unless I can be assured that the browser or OS is stable enough to be able to run without causing errors or crashes. IE7 will not be installed by me until I can be sure that what I have will not "disappear"

Brian

Like I said, I use Firefox. I downloaded IE7 by mistake. I wasn't paying attention when I was doing Windows update. The only reason I use IE is I'm too lazy to install the IE compatibility plug in for Firefox. The only reason I need IE is for Windows Update and Panda activescan. The first time I opened IE7 I didn't see my Favorites tab on the menu bar, it took me a few seconds to find them. I was hoping it would be that simple for her.

Mark