Lost Internet When Phones Are Answered

hello, I have been trying to reconnect some folk to their talk-talk broadband today, and so far have not succeeded - but that is not why I am posting on here.

They tell me that they have had a particular problem both with Talk-Talk and the preceding ISP, which was BT, in that, if the phone rang ( probably a mobile) their connection to the Internet was lost.

They are wireless BTW.

I had occasion today to see this happening. Although their connection to the internet has been lost for some days now, the home-side of the router seems to be working fine, and I was in a screen watching the Rx and Tx spikes being traced and progressing toward the left of the screen - and then the phone rang and I said to answer it as we didn't have a connection outside the router to lose, so they did answer the phone, and I saw all or at least several of the spikes changed from being spikes to being columns with a flat top, and all ending at the same height. I felt this had to be to do with why they lose internet connectivity ( when the darn thing is working that is) but I didn't understand what I was seeing. Can anyone explain please? :blink:

hello, I have been trying to reconnect some folk to their talk-talk broadband today, and so far have not succeeded - but that is not why I am posting on here.

They tell me that they have had a particular problem both with Talk-Talk and the preceding ISP, which was BT, in that, if the phone rang ( probably a mobile) their connection to the Internet was lost.

They are wireless BTW.

I had occasion today to see this happening. Although their connection to the internet has been lost for some days now, the home-side of the router seems to be working fine, and I was in a screen watching the Rx and Tx spikes being traced and progressing toward the left of the screen - and then the phone rang and I said to answer it as we didn't have a connection outside the router to lose, so they did answer the phone, and I saw all or at least several of the spikes changed from being spikes to being columns with a flat top, and all ending at the same height. I felt this had to be to do with why they lose internet connectivity ( when the darn thing is working that is) but I didn't understand what I was seeing. Can anyone explain please? :blink:

And how close to the Wireless connection is the Cell phone or Wireless phone? Interference can be caused by many things. Make sure there isn't anything to close to the Router.

And how close to the Wireless connection is the Cell phone or Wireless phone? Interference can be caused by many things. Make sure there isn't anything to close to the Router.

In this last instance, very close, but anywhere in the house seemed to knock them off the internet

Many cordless phones operate on the same frequency as wireless routers.

So option one would be to unplug all cordless phone base stations and see if that solves the problem.

If so , see if you can find a different frequency cordless.

Another thing which may work is to try to change the channel setting on the wireless router. IT will only change the frequency slightly; but sometimes this is enough.