I want to get a flatbed scanner and need some advice.

My S.O. said that she'd like a fax machine for her home office. But they are so outdated that I thought a good scanner and some fax software would work better. I don't think I'd be putting in a fax modem.

The scanner should be able to offer good copying qualities for legal forms, text, and maybe photos. (as a gift to myself, maybe a slide scanning attachment too?)

It will be attached to a Win XP computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe

If you're S.O. is sending and receiving a lot of faxes, you can't beat a fax machine and you don't have to worry about your PC being on all the time. With the price of fax machines being so cheap during various sales, I would think about getting both a scanner and fax machine.

I was looking into fax service before. I think efax looks pretty good(free). I just need to fax, send or receive, something on occasion.

edit added later//

as to scanners. I have used a cheap $100 HP scanjet 3970 with no problems. We don't use it a lot, but have had it several years.

Edited by shanenin

have you tried the xp fax option

in windows components

my fax costs nothing but many isps charge

telecom charges 4 cents a fax

and telstra charges 6 cents a fax

im, not up witt\h scanners

so i cannot advise you on what to get

take care joe and good luck

marty

Joe:

I have an "Epson Perfection 3170 Photo" that I got about a year ago. It is a refurbished scanner that I bought directly from Epson for $80, and love it. What I like most, is it has an on/off switch so the lamp does not stay on. Amazon has one, but is too much money. I would check out some other places for a better price, but this is what it looks like:

Epson at Amazon

Documents that I have scanned look as good as the original. Really pleased with it. Epson also has this model, the 4490 which was rated very high at one time.

Epson 4490-Amazon

The only reason I'm showing it at Amazon is they always have a good detailed description of a product.

I have a Epson printer also, so you can see I'm quite pleased with their products. Check them out.

Hope this helps a little

Barb :)

BTW-As Marty said, I also use XP Fax with no trouble. See here:

XP Fax

One more thing, check out the Epson site, as they are always having specials. Here ya go:

Epson

Edited by bar5

What is your budget?

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4126378

For $99 this is a steal.

I really like these network aware HPs.

You connect it to a phone line, and by ethernet to your router.

It will recieve incomming faxes on your phone line; either manually or automatically.

You can dial out and fax from it, or from any networked computer.

You can press scan on it , and it will list all the computers on your network which are turned on and ask which to send the scan to.

You can print from any of the computers on the network to it.

2,400 x 4,800 dpi optical resolution scanning

not the best; but entirely adequate, and as I said, a steal for the price.

Oh yes, you can resize when copying on the printer ( put in a pic, hit copy, and choose resample to fill page) without even bringing the computer into play.

They are just plain too good .

There are many other network aware HP printers and all in ones

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...amp;btnG=Search

(Having trouble with making that url work)

When my bosses epson all in one went out I got him a HP PSC 2610, for about that price and it has been a tremendous hit.

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoSmart-2610-All-...r/dp/B0002YH8AY

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Photosmart-2610-All...23QQcmdZViewIte

No more unplugging the USB from one computer to connect it to another to scan or print something.

No more needing to scan to one machine, save the file, put it in a shared folder and then access it from another networked machine.

No more trying to get one more gadget (USB auto switch , print server, ....) to work to try to make it do what he thinks it should do.

No more worrying about a seperate fax machine and having to print from the computer and then run over and feed it into the fax.

It does what an office Print Scan Copy Fax should do and it does it how it should do it.

Oops, I do not think that model includes the fax like the 2610, may have to pay a little more .

Edited by Pete_C