Hi All,

In the new year I'm going to buy a used unit, something to play with, to install other Linux distros on.

I'd like to take a run at Iccaros Linux 1.0, Slackware,BSD, Gentoo, maybe Fedora Core 3. I'm thinking of getting a Plll 800 or so with 256 MB RAM, it'll cost me around $100.

Has anyone had good luck with these brands. IBM or HP?

I've been able to run iccaros's version of Linux on my wife's IBM so that's an argument for IBM and Slackware.

I'd just like to find a unit that people have had good luck installing Linux on. I'm currently running Mandrake 10.1 on my main station, but I'd like to try something else.

Thanks for your time.

hitest :D

My only experiences with either are with laptops, unfortunately, but based on those I'd say IBM in an instant. But then, I reflexively say IBM whenever someone asks this sort of question :)

My only experiences with either are with laptops, unfortunately, but based on those I'd say IBM in an instant. But then, I reflexively say IBM whenever someone asks this sort of question :)

Thanks, jcl. I know I can always look on the Internet for the answer to my question, but I wanted to hear some hands on experiences from Besttechie members.

I appreciate your help, man.

I'll go with IBM.

/me laments the selling off of the Thinkpad division; it made some of the best Linux and BSD compatible laptops...

-uberpenguin

My only experiences with either are with laptops, unfortunately, but based on those I'd say IBM in an instant.  But then, I reflexively say IBM whenever someone asks this sort of question :)

/me laments the selling off of the Thinkpad division; it made some of the best Linux and BSD compatible laptops...

-uberpenguin

Cool. Thanks, uberpenguin.

I'm happily researching stuff about NetVista Plll 866. According to the Slackware website they've egineered their distro to be compatible with IBM architecture. Another vote of confidence for IBM :D

as long as the HP site says "HP recomends Windows XP" even in there HP-UNIX boxes I would stick with IBM.

don't know much about linux but I prefer my IBM lappy to my son's hp desktop

JD

I agree, a friend of mine has an old IBM think pad, he swears by it..........................not at it :D

Thanks, man.

• 2 weeks later...
My Dad works at HP so I'm alwas going to recomend them!

I've had some good luck on my pentuim 2, 200mhz vectra running redhat 9.

Thanks, Dogbert2! I've used an old Vectra before, very nice unit indeed. A friend of mine has an HP and likes it a lot.