So I'm not exactly sure what happened. I have a GeForce 6600 graphics card (AGP) and recently it just stopped working. There wasn't an actual error message or anything that appeared, so I'm confused. Here's what happened:

I had to do a hard reset on my system because it had frozen and wouldn't respond to anything (this has happened a few times in the past, and normally a hard reset would fix it-- it's been happening on and off since about two months after I purchased my tower), and after the reboot, my tower was booting as normal, but my monitor was acting like it was in stand-by. I tried resetting once more and the same thing happened, so I shut off my computer and plugged my monitor into the onboard video port, and then everything booted as normal.

My graphics card wasn't recognized anymore, though. I went into the device manager to see if I could just simply roll back my graphics card drivers, but the card wasn't even in the device list. So I thought maybe it was a simple problem that a system restore would fix, so I restored to a point about five days prior and still no luck. Not recognized or found at all.

So I uninstalled my nVidia drivers and tried installing the newest drivers, but before installation an error box appeared stating "there was no hardware found compatible with these drivers, the installation will now exit." I tried uninstalling all nVidia and GeForce software, shutting down, manually removing the card, starting up, shutting down again, and putting the card back in (thinking the window would appear on start-up, telling me there was new hardware found), but it was still not found. It's acting like the card just vanished. I'm completely stumped.

I was thinking maybe my graphics card had just been fried or something, but the fan is still going, so that's got to mean something, right? I'm REALLY hoping my AGP slot isn't fried, because that would mean a new motherboard, which would mean a completely new computer, since mine's a Compaq tower, so everything's impossibly difficult to alter. Ergh.

Any luck? Is this just a simple software glitch that's got my computer confused, or do I have a serious problem here? My system works as normal now that I'm plugged into my onboard video port, the only difference, obviously, being that I can't play any advanced games or run any programs which need a moderate amount of video processing power.

My system specs are:

Compaq Presario

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.08GHz

512MB RAM (in the general tab under system, however, it says 448MB)

The card is the nVidia GeForce 6600LE -- 256MB

Edited by Modern Rocko

One way to determine if windows is the problem would be to boot your system with a live verison of linux(runs from a cd). If your system runs fine while using linux, you could then determine that the problem is software related. My hunch is the card is fried.

Hi Mike!

I didn't understand anything you said (surprised?? :D ) and Shanenin and the gang will get you fixed right up but I have one question--is this your old idiot box or a new one that you bought for school? Wondering if it's a new one, if it's still under warranty? Kate got a MB installed free when her idiot box went belly-up, thanks to the warranty!

I miss you!! I talk to your Mom and she tells me you're getting straight A's, I'm so proud of you!

Love,

"your other Mom"

Nope, can't get anywhere with it. It acts as if the system is in standby mode, with the power light the dim yellowish-orange color. The screen is black, though, and it doesn't say "NO SIGNAL" so maybe that's promising.

Is there some sort of system hardware diagnostic tool I could use to scan and see what's wrong? Or is it not that simple?

EDIT: It's my old computer, so I've had it too long for the warranty to still apply. Sadface.

Edited by Modern Rocko

hi ive just read your post again

and ive had to edit my first post

have you tested to see if the onboard

is not conflicting with you card

take out your card

uninstall all display drivers onboard and card

then reseat you card

and try rebooting

you say it goes to stand by

disable stand by

and un check the option

prompt for pass word when compt

resumes from stand by,

then post back

marty

Edited by martymas

Your Bios settings may have been changed back to default due to a dead/weak Cmos battery on the motherboard. Replace the battery then reset your Bios for the AGP card to be recognized and disable onboard video. If the AGP card is then functional install the updated Nvidia drivers for it. Not knowing the Presario's model number I am not sure if the onboard video is disabled in the Bios and/or Device Manager.