Move Windows To Another Hard Drive?

first of all, (downs a few aspirin and a glass of water) i'm a bit hung over so my internal human cpu isn't running at full capacity. LOL (ouch! my head hurts) :wacko:

ok i'm gona have a new computer and i want to transfer the os over to another hard drive i just bought. i know it's a risky thing, soo much chance for file degradation and what not. but i'm gona give it a shot. so what would be the bust way and program to attempt such a probably unstable feet? or should i just shoot myself in the foot, yell and kick the computer until it works. LOL

or i can borrow a friends xp install cd and try to use the activation key that came with my old HP computer but if i remember correcty, that won't work either.

or anyone got a better suggestion for this cheap geek. too bad there isn't a way to just transfer the licence to another activation key or something like that.

If your friend has the same version of XP (Home or Pro) and it is OEM it will work on the HP using your activation key. If he doesn't have the OEM disk but it is Retail then you could do the alteration in creating the OEM disk from a Retail one as outlined here: Yea Or Nay. Remember you need to use the correct version (Home or Pro).

While you are at it slipstream SP2.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

Once you have the correct XP CD to use I would install fresh on the new drive without the other one hooked up. Once the install is finished install the mobo drivers and update XP. After all this is done slave the old drive to the new one and transfer your data and program executable files (if you saved them to a download folder like I do). You can then install your programs to the new drive.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
ok i'm gona have a new computer and i want to transfer the os over to another hard drive i just at.

since your changing it to a new motherboard, xp will freak out. It won't let you do it.

Edited by shanenin
If your friend has the same version of XP (Home or Pro) and it is OEM it will work on the HP using your activation key. If he doesn't have the OEM disk but it is Retail then you could do the alteration in creating the OEM disk from a Retail one as outlined here: Yea Or Nay. Remember you need to use the correct version (Home or Pro).

While you are at it slipstream SP2.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

Once you have the correct XP CD to use I would install fresh on the new drive without the other one hooked up. Once the install is finished install the mobo drivers and update XP. After all this is done slave the old drive to the new one and transfer your data and program executable files (if you saved them to a download folder like I do). You can then install your programs to the new drive.

the easy way to slipstream

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...ostreamer.shtml

Auto Streamer

I tried the technic in Yea Or Nay

works fine the worst you will have to do is call Microsoft and let them know you replaced the hard drive.

I recently used nlite to slipstream my disc, it worked nice

http://www.nliteos.com/

it has all kinds of neat features. You can add service packs, drivers, programs(like firefox). You can also make a disk to do unattended installs with all of the settings done for you, including your products key.

Edited by shanenin