Windows Not Booting .... Puzzled

Ok, last night i rebooted my PC when a program kept locking up on me (i thought it might help) For some reason it wouldn't start back up. Not even in safe mode.

It gets far enough to ask me how I want to boot windows (last known good config., or Safe Mode) After I make a selection it reboots. So, I figured I would repair XP using the XP disc. However, I boot to the CD, it displays "Setup is Configuring your Hardware" (or something to that effect, the first line after the Windows disc starts) then reboots.

Linux works fine however.

Any ideas?

Also, is their any way to access my data on my hard drive from Linux?

Thanks

Edited by Bubba Bob

linux could definitely get the data for you. Do you have a portable harddrive? What version on linux do you have?

As to your windows problem, I would try and remove all the extra hardware I could including the harddrive. At that point I would be curious to see if that would get you further along in the install(until it gives you an error about no harddrive).

this is pretty easy to do from the command line. In all honesty, I am not sure how to do it using gnome or kde. The general idea is to make a mount point(a place to access) for your windows files. then mount(attach) your windows partition to that point. Below is a nice little guide. Feel free to ask any questions.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Fedora_fc5#How...rs_to_read_only

just a couple of notes "/dev/hda1" is referring to the first partition of you primary harddrive. It is assumbing that is where windows is. You may need to adjust.

After following those commands, just navigate to "/media/windows" to access your files

edit added later//

you will just be able to copy those files to your linux partition. You will not be able to write directly to your widows partition

Edited by shanenin

Well, I stripped er down the the "bear" neccesities, still won't boot. I did get it to boot to the Windows disc by unplugging the hard drive, though. I guess something got corrupted?

Looks like that tutorial is going to come in handy, thanks :)

Edited by Bubba Bob
Well, I stripped er down the the "bear" neccesities, still won't boot. I did get it to boot to the Windows disc by unplugging the hard drive, though. I guess something got corrupted?

You said that all was on the same HD. Then you said that you removed the HD and it booted to windows. How?

You said that all was on the same HD. Then you said that you removed the HD and it booted to windows. How?

Not Windows, the Windows XP Installation disc.

That's a rare occurence with XP...fortunately, but not rare enough that you didn't get bit by it so I guess that's little consolation eh.. :wacko:

Try running fixmbr at recovery first and see if that gets the install to boot again. Sometimes this causes a boot sector corruption (no idea why) but it may be the fast & dirty way to get it back. I might still run a repair install afterwards tho, that's a personal pref that I would think about still, just to clean things up some.

What program was it that messed things up so bad anyway?

Correct, I can't get far enough to repair it.

The program was a Motorola application (can't remember the name). I was trying to connect my phone to my PC to get some pictures off.

Also, I don't know that the application messed things up. This is probably the first time in a few weeks I restarted my PC.

Edited by Bubba Bob

use MOBILedit! next time. It's free and it works fine for my V3 Razr. Only problem is, no matter what when i plug my cell phone in if I right click something that whatever I highlight and click after that remains on the screen until I reboot the system. That's just the drivers for my Razr that's causing that, not MOBILedit! Also MP3 player cables and TI-84 Plus cables make awesome alternatives to the over priced Motorola cable. They are all the same. Thank you Creative Labs and Texas Instruments. Wow am I ever cheap. I cut corners where I can.

Hey my bumper on my new 96 hatch is not on. I should find the proper fasteners to reattach it. Psssh. Forget that. I got some zip ties sitting in the garage. Go to Checkouts and buy this old SNES game I want to play. Shoot no, download the ROM and play it on the emulator. Hook the lappy up to the TV and use a joypad for that authentic feel.

Hmm windows not booting huh. Go out and make sure your Focus will still start too. Sorry had to say it. :) That's MS for ya. Randomly corrupting files and sudden boot failures. I find it strange that it fails to boot the XP CD when the hard drive is plugged in. have you tried any other hard drives?

Also yes my bumper is actually zip tied on. I am very cheap and lazy. Once I get my JDM SiR Conversion then my new fenders and bumper will be properly attached. :thumbsup:

Actually, my phone doesn't use mini-usb, so I did have to get a Moto. cable. :(

. Go out and make sure your Focus will still start too. Sorry had to say it.

Yes, the odometer hasn't rolled over 200,000 miles yet, so it still starts :P

I plugged in a second drive and copied the files over I needed, then wiped the drive and installed windows. All is getting back to normal(ish)...

Oh, and I hope those zip ties don't stretch too much over time :o

:o oh no Ford hath betrayed thee.

I crushed my old V220 when I was changing my oil It worked for a while. The screen was out for I while but seemed I fixed within 2 days. After about a month or 2 the screen just quit. I had to go back to my decrepit old LG. My manager wanted to sell his Razr and I bought it from him. It's slow and makes my V220 look really good but at least it looks cool and I can actually hear and feel it. My last 2 phones I could neither really hear the ring nor feel the buzz. I can hear the power metal blasting from this booger. At least that's an upside. Decent storage space to put GOOD ringtones on. I make my own using a combo of Audacity, dbPowerAMP, and MOBILedit!. Works like a charm and FREE without any catches.

I wish a chevy had run over it, probably would have bent a rim instead of damaging the phone :D

Anyway, the phone still makes calls atleast. I do the same thing with the ring tones, ony using Motorola Mobile Phone tools. I recently got a 1 gig mirco SD card for it so i could use the phone as an MP3 player. It's amazing how small these little Mirco SD cards are.

Oh, and I tried MobileEdit, but the features i wanted to use are only on the paid version. Did you buy it or do you have the lite version?

Ok, I need some more help.

Although Im enjoying Mandriva, I also need a copy of winders installed to run some Windows only applications. However, my PC still won't install windows. For what ever reason, it never gets past "Setup is Determining your PCs COnfiguration". Last time, once I ereased my C partition, it worked fine. Linux won't let me erease this partition though.

Is their some boot disc or something I could use to boot up and erease this partition?