My PC wouldn't shut off the other night and now it won't allow me to go to Windows upadate to get new updates. It gives me an error about the web site. I tried checking my Automatic updates and it won't load. My PeoplePC program will connect to the internet but the main screen gets an error and closes. I can still use the internet by loading IE. I have AVG updated and ran it in Safe mode. I tried SFC /scanonce and scannow. I haven't downloaded anything for over a year. Nothing installed that I know of. Grand kids might have. Last week of so I got about 8 updates with no problem. I tried system restore and went back a week with no luck. Any Ideas?

have you been to start- control panel-sys-automatic updates

and see if updates are turned on to auto

or turned off

marty

Yes I checked it out from the control panel under Security Center. It is on but if I click on it, it does nothing, no option to change it. Looks like I need to reinstall everything once again. I am thinking the Grand Kids did something, so I might as well Restore the whole system.

I just remembered I downloaded 5 updates on the 12th. That is when I first got my problems. Should I remove those updates?

Might be worth removing them, rebooting, and then download/reinstall them again. You might have gotten a bad or partial install of one of the files.

I would also try following the instructions Here before doing a full reinstall. It's possible the g-kids installed some malicious toolbar or something, then decided to try and remove it but it may have injected a line into your TCP/IP stack that's causing some issues still.

Posting a HijackThis log into the Malware Removal Forum is important to make sure this is not malware related.

I just remembered I downloaded 5 updates on the 12th. That is when I first got my problems. Should I remove those updates?

Might be worth removing them, rebooting, and then download/reinstall them again. You might have gotten a bad or partial install of one of the files.

The only thing is, I can't use the update site.

Note: other symptoms are: If I don't log on right away to the PC it defaults to a screen I never seen before and I have to log off when I never logged on before I get the correct screen to log on. Then It looks like the old shut down or restart screen when I try to shut down. What I mean by that is it looks like the pull down screen that Win98 has and not the 3 buttons to choose from. When I try to log onto the Net, my log on screen gives me an error. ANd then it wants to send the error to Microsoft. The program I log on with is called Bartshell.exe

Update!

After a day of trouble shooting I just reformatted the drive and reinstalled. Runs fine now.

I did learn one thing in case you might want to take a note of it.

Earth link(includes PeoplePC) Toolbars with the Pop-up blocker stopped me from using the Windows Update.Even after I reinstalled most everything I couldn't get on. I e-mailed Microsoft and they told me about the Pop-up blockers and some other things like Norton that causes errors. I disabled the pop-up blocker and it works.

good one lefty

glad your up and going magain

thats ahandy tip about the popups

ive had it happen to me but mine is different

i have my cookies to prompt

and when i get a prompt i reject it and it goes to a block box

and i have to go in and remove that appli

to access it but i prefer it that way

i block every thing that prompts

at the end of the day

i can go in and remove them all and start again

that way i dont get much