as im a bit confused here

does this

bugger up the theory

that you can leave your compt running

for ever

or is this article b----t

marty

screen fix

Plasma screens still use phosphors, just like old tube TV's do. They just use a newer method to "excite" the phosphors to make 'em light up. Phosphors can "wear out" so plasma screens can burn in just like those old tube TV's. There are electronic "cheats" that can be designed into the system to slow down or prevent burn in (one method is instead of lighting up one pixel the electronics can slowly "wobble" the pixel around).

LCD's have individual pixels (or dots) that turn on or off to pass or block light from a backlight. Each pixel is addressed individually by very tiny electronic circuits. So if anything goes wrong with those tiny circuits, a pixel can go dead or get stuck. The On/Off nature of LCD's means they don't "burn in," but the point is moot if it goes dead or gets stuck. It's still unsightly.

Two thoughts about that application: 1) They say it isn't likely to induce seizures, but I watched it and I have my doubts! 2) Jeez, either Java applets are slow or my old computer has trouble running them (it wasn't unbearable, but I was surprised how much time it took to eventually initiate the app).