Problems Opening Hotmail, Microsoft Related Websites

Hi.....i have thinkpad t43p US model, brought to india, tried to connect to hotmail as well as microsoft update software......was unable to open till date.......i am using webroot, aol antispyware, norton antivirus 2006. also was not able to poll emails to outlook express through hotmail. fortunately every other website is opening up...but microsoft related does not open up......using ADSL 2+ conection for internet.

help me out ...thx

Edited by jassuji

You sit in the hub of all world technical support and you post your question here? Ask the next person you see on the street and they will probably have the answer or be able to find an on-screen script to read to you.

hahahaha, just having fun....

You sit in the hub of all world technical support and you post your question here? Ask the next person you see on the street and they will probably have the answer or be able to find an on-screen script to read to you.

hahahaha, just having fun....

Is your computer plugged in and turned on? :D

Hi.....i have thinkpad t43p US model, brought to india, tried to connect to hotmail as well as microsoft update software......was unable to open till date.......i am using webroot, aol antispyware, norton antivirus 2006. also was not able to poll emails to outlook express through hotmail. fortunately every other website is opening up...but microsoft related does not open up......using ADSL 2+ conection for internet.

help me out ...thx

Hi,

I haven't even seen a thinkpad, so don't know if works the same as a desktop/laptop...but am guessing it does.

So some basic questions here. What version of Windows? Have you changed the time clock to your exact time? The time clock needs to be pretty close to accurate for Windows updates I have heard.

Also am wondering if there is a setting somewhere to change location from US to India? Or is does that only apply for changing to another lanquage?

Are there any settings in the aol things that need to be changed to India based? Why are you using AOL stuff? There are free antispyware programs...such as Spybot Search and Destroy and others to replace the AOL one. Just reread your post, you said you have Webroot...isn't that an antispyware program? Perhaps AOL is in conflict with it? I would get rid of AOL, and especially if it is a conflict to other stuff.

Have you double checked your trusted zones in firewall (you do have one right?) etc are allowing the sites you are having trouble with?

Is Norton antivirus updating ok? Have you done your scans to make sure no bad stuff creeped in somehow?

Well that ought to give a start to finding out what is going on, and hopefully others here will quit teasing and start helping you.

Take care, and glad to have you on board with us.

Pat

God bless everyone

the thinkpad is a laptop made by IBM, at least mine is. The new ones carry the Lenovo name. Have you tried to connect to microsoft in India or the USA, if only one of them then try the other one. Also do you have a firewall set up, is it configured to allow connection to Microsoft

THANX for the info but i've uninstalled AOL spyware, webroot as well. i've also updated the time zone and also tried removin the firewall but my norton caught something inbound into my laptop n its as follows......

MS ASN1 Interger Overflow TCP

Intruder: 59.144.147.229(4071)

Risk: HIGH

Protocol:TCP

Attacked IP: ABC 59.144.132.162

Attacked Port: netbios-ssn(139)

i'm using windows firewall n no other i guess.one last thing the website www.msn.co.in is openin on it but when i click on hotmail to check my mail, its the same prob again.oh i'm using windows XP pro with SP2 (not a illegal copy).

lookin forward to ur reply PAT

Edited by jassuji
THANX for the info but i've uninstalled AOL spyware, webroot as well. i've also updated the time zone and also tried removin the firewall but my norton caught something inbound into my laptop n its as follows......

MS ASN1 Interger Overflow TCP

Intruder: 59.144.147.229(4071)

Risk: HIGH

Protocol:TCP

Attacked IP: ABC 59.144.132.162

Attacked Port: netbios-ssn(139)

i'm using windows firewall n no other i guess.one last thing the website www.msn.co.in is openin on it but when i click on hotmail to check my mail, its the same prob again.oh i'm using windows XP pro with SP2 (not a illegal copy).

lookin forward to ur reply PAT

First thing to do is dump norton.

IMHO.

I would ensure there's no Internet quirk where you're at by connecting to the sites giving you trouble using another computer. If you DO connect using another computer, then at least we know it's a configuration problem with yours.

You should not have webroot AND AOL spyware programs running at the same time. Turn one off.

What were you doing when Norton warned you about an ICP intrusion? That sounds like a firewall warning (which is normal and indicates your firewall's protecting you) but ... you said you have the XP firewall running. Two firewalls are a no-no.

yes i do another computer.its a desktop runnin on WINXP pro SP2.i'm using windows firewall protection as well as norton on it but i did'nt had ne kindda prob on my desktop while tryin to connect to these sites.

all these sites do get opened up pretty well on my desktop but not on my laptop.

i've uninstalled both of them i.e. Webroot n AOL n i got this intrusion when i turned widows firewall off on my ethernet.

if u need nemore help just let me know i'll tell whatever u need to know abt his prob of mine coz i really want to know what's causin this.i've even tried callin microsoft customer service n they said that i should call IBM n ask them abt the prob but when i called IBM they said that they only give customer support to hardware probs not technical prob.they're just bunch of stupid jerks who don't know nethin.

neways i know the guys in this forum know much more then they do.so help me out ppl........

Have you scanned with your Norton antivirus to see if any bad stuff is actually on your computer?

Have you scanned with antispyware programs too?

I didn't mean that you should uninstall Webroot...just the AOL stuff. I have heard good things about Webroot software. As for turning off your firewall, nooo!!! The internet is a dangerous place and you need one firewall, one antivirus, and some say only one antispyware program too though others say you can run more than one at a time. I think it depends on what you use. I use F-Secure Internet Security Suite which doesn't like other programs that could conflict with it, so it depends on what you have I think.

As for Norton, both the antivirus and firewall are usually very good at what they do Unless they start giving problems with updates etc then they are terrible. And they can be a huge pain to uninstall completely, and even when you have used the Symantec/Norton special removal tools you can still have parts of Norton remaining on system, and that can cause problems with installing a competitor's product. I had Norton antivirus/firewalls for several years, but really had alot of trouble with uninstalling old to install new versions...and last one never did work right....finally I decided to switch rather than fight it anymore. So did the uninstall and used the special tools too. Still can't get rid of last bit of an old old one I thought was long gone! So McAfee Internet Security Suite wont install at all as it sees old Norton, but luckily F-Secure Security Suite did install and works fine (their website says it will deactivate conflicting software though you are supposed to uninstall if possible first).

To make a long story short, the reason so many people dislike Norton is because it is rather infamous for giving trouble uninstalling it. I think if Norton is working without problems then don't disturb it, because that would open up another can of worms...with possible uninstall problems!!!

I seemed to have missed seeing if you have both Norton antivirus and Norton firewall or just the Norton antivirus??? I did see you are using the Windows firewall...so if you have the Norton firewall which is a good firewall with a great ad blocker too (and protects in both directions, incoming and outgoing as a good firewall should but Windows one doesn't) then you should turn off the Windows firewall as two firewalls are a no-no and conflict with each other as does two antivirus programs! If you only have the Windows firewall, it is better than nothing even though it protects only against incoming attacks so if something sneaked into your computer it could 'phone home'.

You said "using windows XP pro with SP2 (not a illegal copy). So it is a Legal copy right? Hopefully. If not then you have even more problems to deal with. But I am assuming you meant it is legal.

I am now in way over my head on advice/questions now, am still a newbie at many/most compuiter things.

Next question both for you and the others here on board as I have no experience with networks so could the (assumed) router be blocking anything on the thinkpad but not on main computer?

Good luck to you on solving the problems.

If all else fails, do post a hijackthis log in proper section of board for experts to see if a virus or some malware has infected you.

Pat

God bless everyone

Some things still aren't clear (it's pretty hard to communicate effectively via boards). Your OTHER computer connects to all sites fine, right? What security software is on THAT computer? ONE firewall and ONE antivirus and ONE antispyware (if any, you don't really HAVE to have antispyware running 24/7 as long as you scan regularly -- spyware isn't as dangerous as viruses).

It's also not clear what exactly you uninstalled: The AOL "or" Webroot "or" both? I did suggest you uninstall one but didn't mention, as stated in another post, I would recommend you uninstall the AOL antispyware software rather than the Webroot (that is, reinstall Webroot or turn it back on, and be sure the AOL antispyware software is turned off or uninstalled).

It's not clear why you turned OFF your firewall. I wasn't sure if you had TWO firewalls running (Windows' "and" Norton's). You should have ONE turned on at all times when you're connected. Again I agree with the other post, Norton's would be my preference as it protects against both incoming AND outgoing packets. Windows' firewall protects against anything getting IN your computer, but if something's already there (could even be what's causing the problem right now), Windows will not stop it from communicating using OUTWARD bound packets.

Don't get upset with MS or IBM support, they're constantly ambushed with errors that aren't directly their fault. Let's say you DO have two firewalls AND two antispyware programs running and combined they're stopping you from connecting to all sites. That's not the fault of the computer software OR the hardware, that is, the software isn't "broken" and neither is the hardware. It would be nice if they would just help to get the dang thing running, huh? Wouldn't that make for happier customers, and isn't that what they're supposed to want? But with hundreds of millions of PCs out there they just cannot perform troubleshooting for them all, so they restrict their support to defective software or hardware.

yes all sites open up on my desktop computer.The security softwares that i have on my desktop are---

1. Norton antivirus 2006

2. Ewido Antispyware

3. Windows Firewall

well i've uninstalled both of them on my laptop but as ur sayin that webroot is a much better software then AOL so i'll install it right away.

i think my Norton antivirus don't provide me with ne firewall so i guess i'm only runnin windows firewall protection on BOTH (desktop n laptop).

so now what would u suggest i should do?????? would a clean install on my laptop help??????? i don't really wanna do a fresh install on my laptop tho.

i guess i'll post my Hijackthis log in the Hijackthis section n see if there's somethin or not but i'll be postin ne queries u guys need to help me out in here too.

THANX again for ur replies.

Well that was perfectly clear. :)

It sounds like somewhere in the Internet Tools applet or your ISP's software there's a configuration problem of one kind or another. Unfortunately it's beyond me where to start, sorry.

If you have particular software you use to access the Internet (other than IE) I'd uninstall/reinstall that.

what do u mean my ISP's software configuration problem???????

what internet tools applet?????

i have mozilla firefox 1.5.0.6 other then IE.i also tried installing IE7 Beta 3 but still could'nt resolve my problem.i just updated my firefox to my current version that i've already mentioned.

so what do u suggest i should do now JDoors????

i still have'nt posted Hijackthis log in the Hijackthis logs section???

Do u still think its a spyware problem or somethin??????

let me know

Unrelated, but it looks like your question mark key is sticking. ;)

There are settings for how your system connects, security settings for what's allowed and what's not, the company that provides your Internet connection may have additional settings, your Internet hardware may have even more settings. All are accessed using various methods -- I don't know what yours are.

I mentioned the Internet Options applet which would be for Internet Explorer (ways to get there; Internet Explorer's Tools menu - select Internet Options, or Control Panel - select Internet Options). Your ISP will have settings that are accessed by whatever way your ISP decides to do it (is there any software from your ISP?). Windows and other OS's have their own settings for Internet connectivity (Windows' Control Panel again).

Then there are settings in various security software. Some firewalls can be set to prevent access to particular URL's for example.

The large number of possibilities is beyond my grasp of these settings. If someone else here is unable to check through yours to be sure they're correct (or make other suggestions) I'd go to the ISP's and hardware's sites to check for any necessary settings, then do a web search for things like FIREFOX INTERNET SETTINGS or NAME-OF-YOUR-HARDWARE INTERNET SETTINGS.

i can't believe this is happenin to me?????????

WTF is goin on here.

NOW i can't open up HOTMAIL,MICROSOFT,MSN on my desktop either????

i need some help BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!1

so ppl help me out soon i need it a lot

has it got something to do with blocked IP addresses or something????but mine's a ADSL connection so i think whenever i switch my modem OFF n then ON, my IP address changes as well.so what else could be the problelm????????????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've googled abt my problem n found out abt something called DNS cache poisoning.it seemed being related with my problem a lot.if ne1 knows abt this problem then plz help me out with this.

i need to know what's the real reason behind my problem.i've also tried calling my ISP n asked the guys abt this problem n all they said is that they never heard abt this problem frm ne1 else except me so they said that they'll ask other customers abt it.

ne1 out there who can help me get over this problem???????

HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

heyyyyyyyyyyyy GUESS WHAT??????????

i've finally solved my problem of certain websites not opening up in my computer thru my connection.for u newbies u can read the posts i've posted here before n this is the final verdict n SOLUTION to it......here's what i did........

ok now what i did was i opened up my browser n wrote "http://192.168.1.1" without the quotes then put "admin" in the username n "password" in the password place n pressed enter.

Now here comes the important part.i clicked on my "WAN" n edited my DSL settings n then at the page where it asks for PPP username n password, i had PPP IP extensions clicked on. so i just unticked it n as usual clicked on next, next n save n clicked on save reboot.

There u have it n WOILA my problem was solved.i'm now able to access microsoft, hotmail, msn, n any other site that i was'nt able to access before.

i hope this information will help ppl solve their problem.if it does'nt solve their problems then i'm sorry it worked for me tho..

THANX to whoever tried helping me on this problem.i hope this info would come in handy.........

Edited by jassuji

Thats your address (http://192.168.1.1) to access the setup on your Router settings, so obviously it was not correctly configured before.

I read thru your posts and don't see anywhere where you mentioned you were connecting thru a router, wireless or not, so probably nobody thought of that aspect of it.

All info on your connection is required for us to have any chance of figuring out a connection problem such as your's. This is also for any others who may read this...if you're having a connectivity problem, PLEASE tell us everything about how you connect!!!

Also, for your future info, to delete the DNS cache in XP - Click Start, Run - type cmd and Enter.

Type "ipconfig /flushdns" without quotes and hit ENTER.