California Is On Stage 2 Power Emergency!

Transformer is stressing out and exploding.

CA-ISO Delclared Stage 2 Power Emergency

I lives in Southern California and i know the California Blackout of 2001, it not that funny. Blackouts in mutli-area, it went on for a week. it this horrible heat wave happening in the summer. Good thing i went to the beach with my friends. and the ocean is ICY COLD but it satify me because of this heat wave.

We almost on Stage 3 this afternoon, allllllllmost. but lucky we didnt.

Here the CA-ISO reports on power usage, http://www.caiso.com/outlook/SystemStatus.html

I know we all should converse the energy, but it this horrible heat wave, we all cant stand it, it baking 110 degress outside. Everyday, i already took a COLD shower. but everyone i talks with use a hot water, what the heck! it baking 110 degree outside, who need that kind of extra heat in the body.

i'd say my house's only power problem is the computers. Luckily my new system has AMD Cool 'n' Quiet that reduces power consumption and I have switched to an LCD for it too. I'm thinking of buying another LCD for my bedroom computer so save some more power. I always shut down my Computers at night and when I leave the house with no one around. We always keep our AC at a power saving level. We could also save a little energy by turning off the cable box and reciever/amp at night. Something ain't quite right with the printer so we leave it on cause when it gets turned off it doesn't like to turn back on.

And yes people are just royally screwing the world.

Transformer is stressing out and exploding.

CA-ISO Delclared Stage 2 Power Emergency

I lives in Southern California and i know the California Blackout of 2001, it not that funny. Blackouts in mutli-area, it went on for a week. it this horrible heat wave happening in the summer. Good thing i went to the beach with my friends. and the ocean is ICY COLD but it satify me because of this heat wave.

We almost on Stage 3 this afternoon, allllllllmost. but lucky we didnt.

Here the CA-ISO reports on power usage, http://www.caiso.com/outlook/SystemStatus.html

I know we all should converse the energy, but it this horrible heat wave, we all cant stand it, it baking 110 degress outside. Everyday, i already took a COLD shower. but everyone i talks with use a hot water, what the heck! it baking 110 degree outside, who need that kind of extra heat in the body.

I feel your pain.

Two days ago it was 118 degrees here in Phoenix aka Hell.

The summers were always miserable here, but at least at night it would "cool down" at least a little. This summer that has not been happening. It's over 90 degrees all night long. And although the humidity is up due to the monsoon season (which adds to the misery) rain has been almost negligable.

My electric bill this month was $350 due to the air conditioner running almost non stop.

Global warming is a real issue that is happening. (despite the current moron in the white house telling you otherwise)

Everyday, i already took a COLD shower. but everyone i talks with use a hot water, what the heck! it baking 110 degree outside, who need that kind of extra heat in the body.

Actually, the cold shower adds extra body heat. when you take a cold shower, your pores close up, which doesnt allow the heat to excape from you body, so the body temperature up a little, makiong you feel even more hot.

but a hot shower, it opens up the pores, letting even more heat excape from your body. making you feel less hot, and more comfortable. but i would take a shower not as hot as normally, but still a little bit hot.

-Joe

I already use my own method that really works so well for me.

I always close all blinds to prevent heat getting in. At night, i have 5 box fans, and i hang them on the window and put all on high to put the cold air in the house. Then at the morning, i turn off the fan and close the window and close the blinds then the cold air stay in the house throughtout the day. it really save a lot of money this way. For dryer (thank god i use natural gas dryer), i use the dryer at night because during the day, that where the energy bill go up while at night, it goes down because less people using it.

For Computers, we have CRT, i know it took so much but for now it all we can afford. But im very strict with CRT, if anyone is not in the room, turn off the moniter, dont leave it to sleep, it will waste energy. just turn it off, it help that way.

Actually, the cold shower adds extra body heat. when you take a cold shower, your pores close up, which doesnt allow the heat to excape from you body, so the body temperature up a little, makiong you feel even more hot.

but a hot shower, it opens up the pores, letting even more heat excape from your body. making you feel less hot, and more comfortable. but i would take a shower not as hot as normally, but still a little bit hot.

-Joe

i know but i dont really mean COLD shower, a shower that meet a room temp. i would say about 70 to 75 degrees.

Edited by DarkestDream

We have been fighting the excessive heat here in the NW too. Our hottest was 104 here in Portland the other day, but several days were 100 or close to it, some days a bit lower but muggy with some light drizzle which didn't really even settle the dust, or verga that evaporated before it hit the ground, then temps back up to mid to high 90's or higher.

Last night/today's the first cool down we have had in days!!! I have both bedroom air conditioners off, all ceiling fans off, and the Vornado fan that I was using to pull the cool ac air out of this room, are all turned off now. I used the whole house fan to pull in cooler outside air through security screen doors, after midnight last night and early this morning. Then turned it off (and shut place back up so will stay a bit cooler in house longer today) so it is now eerily QUIET in this house finally!!! Have the curtains and blinds open for first time in days, they were closed to keep out some of the heat.

What a relief to have house at less than 75 degrees or more (81 in house last night when we went to bed). To be in upper 80's this week before it cools a bit more by weekend. Finally getting some ocean air filtering into the northern part of the Willamette Valley and some clouds too to help bring temps down. We only get a few streaks of this kind of weather a year, and most people don't even have any air conditioning at all in houses or cars so really suffer with such extreme heat. Hubby works at Intel out in the 'burbs, was 108 or 109 one day for him when he left work to drive the long commute home with no air conditioner in car. He looked like he was melting when he got home! Everyone is crabby over being hot, and tired too due to not sleeping very well either. Just been eating sandwiches and salads, so we don't have to cook. It was to hot to even think straight it seemed like.

There have been some power outages around the area due to transformers blowing, and line trouble too.

PGE told people to conserve, not so much for lack of power which surprised me, but because of so much high power usage helping to overheat transformers etc and because of hot nights etc, the transformers couldn't cool down as normally would.

What is still scary are possible lightening storms especially in the Cascades mountains and east side of state setting off fires. and the usual arson fires, and the trains setting off grass and brush fires especially here in metro area which has happened nearly every summer. Oh yeah also a worry are the nuts who set off various fireworks that land on or against houses or apartments and cause major life-threatening fires. Everything is so dry, it doesn't take much to set off a terrible fire. And people are so dumb about prevention, I don't think most people ever think of the possible consequences of something they do starting a fire.

Stay cool folks, stay safe.

Pat

God bless everyone

From yesterday's Sacramento Bee email alert:

"Authorities said they've have found three people dead in downtown single-room occupancy hotels Tuesday. The body of the third person was found at the Hotel Congress near the corner of 12th and I streets, police said.

Sacramento Fire Capt. James Doucette said all three people have died in very hot rooms that were not air conditioned. Precise causes of death are not yet known. Earlier Tuesday, two elderly men were found dead at the Golden Hotel near 10th and J Streets, police said.

For more, go to www.sacbee.com."

As of yesterday I believe 53 people had passed away in California's Central Valley from heat related causes.

Yes it's been bad all over. For us it has been 10 days in a row (and counting?) of over 100 degree Fahrenheit and many new records have been made for local temperatures. But other areas in our great country have suffered worse in the past and "weathered" the challenge.

I recorded a 112 degree Fahrenheit temp on our front porch for our high during this heat spell. Those of us without air conditioning, like me and mine, need to be very careful about going outdoors and keeping properly hydrated. My poor Mother is down from Anchorage (usually a balmy 60 something degrees Fahrenheit up there), visiting my family in Modesto (while we cope with the sudden loss of a dear family member [not heat related] ) coping as best she can.

Climate change? Who knows. The world has swirled with climate changes long before we humans began monkeying around with the environment... and that change is a constant.

Conserve as best you can... recycle... be responsible with your emissions... but most won't... a poem:

.... Kyoto Discord

Fend not for the earth

Until the politicians

Are thus endangered ?

:Bobby Nichols

2-17-2005 (a Haiku)

I'm sorry about the death of your family member Bobby, hope the rest of the family is able to survive severe heat you folks are suffering through. Your poor Mom having to so quickly adjust to such hot temperatures compared to what she is used to.

Are there any air conditioners available in the stores there? Even a window unit would help you all out some, at least in that one room. There was quite a run on them here during our turn at the hot spell but luckily the stores had stocked up. It is now much cooler here thanks to the moderating clouds and cooler temperatures coming from the coast into the Northern Willamette Valley where we are but East side of both Wa and Or still hot.

On another sad note folks, read about this terrible tragedy of 35 greyhound dogs dying in a kennel from a failed air conditioner in a neighboring county. This Oregonian story doesn't show the pictures(which were awful and heartbreaking, but I also saw on the tv news a picture of the air conditioner that failed....it was ancient looking!!! Only the compressor part of it failed, so fan was blowing the extreme hot air on the rows of kennel cages of dogs (like a warehouse stacking of crates with barely room for dogs to turn around inside them!!!) It was 108 in many outlying parts of the metro area that day!!! I am surprised any dogs lived let alone the 17 that did and that they aren't suffering from internal organ and brain damage from such heat. All that misery and death from not buying a new air conditioner or two!!! The spokesman for kennel said the air conditioner had had problems week before and been serviced. Like get a clue and buy a new one comes to mind. Sorry but this story broke my heart, to see such beautiful animals dying because of someone making a dumb choice to chance the old ac lasting the rest of this already record breaking hot summer.

35 Greyhounds die in 108 or so degree temps from failure of a decrepit old air conditioner

That is from the Oregonian so wont be available for free for very long.

Try to stay cool folks, and remember the pets need help too.

Pat

God bless everyone

For now, the heat wave is not that bad in San Diego/North County area, i believe it was about 85 degrees for two days, thanks to our wonderful mother nature who really cares about human and formed a cloudly shield around us :P

It been cloudy since for two days. it warm, not that hot. How nice of mother nature provides a shield hehe

I agree morning clouds and cooler temps are a welcome relief here too, and cooler nights feel so good!!! About 90 yesterday and today with the morning clouds filtering into our area off the coast. To be even cooler next few days. Yea!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I heard that Oregon nearly had some of it's major interstate transmission lines overload the other day. The news report said it was very close to losing them, which would have been bad news for California as they send our extra NW power to California. The reverse is true in Wintertime. That usually all works out for everyone, except when extreme temperatures hit everyone at same time. So that is why we have been asked all along to conserve power here in NW, so we'll have a surplus to send to you folks down to the South of us.

Stay cool and safe folks, and remember the pets's needs too.

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

good thing one of my dog love water, everytime i water a plant, he just bark at it and hope to get his fur wet. he just love a cold water, chasing water hoping to get all water. i just spray at him today and he really enjoy it and went inside the house, he was ruining the carpet as usual, he trying to "dry" himself.

my other dog, great dane, scared of water..... he dont mind to chase the water but very very picky to get wet. he 2 years old, still have that kiddie mind as always. sometime he just act retarded, it what make him sooooo cute at it. If it the rain, he dont mind to get wet, but if it water from a hose or anything, he wont allow himself to get wet. such a strange dog but WHO CARES i love him so much.