A friend asked me about a problem with her Dell. Since I have no clue what she's talking about and have no way knowing what to fix, I ask you guys for your help.

She says that some sound that the USB post makes when a device is plugged in or disconnected is sounding off randomly when nothing is being connected. She says it happens by itself whenever.

I tried googling but found nothing. She's running XP Home.

A friend asked me about a problem with her Dell. Since I have no clue what she's talking about and have no way knowing what to fix, I ask you guys for your help.

She says that some sound that the USB post makes when a device is plugged in or disconnected is sounding off randomly when nothing is being connected. She says it happens by itself whenever.

I tried googling but found nothing. She's running XP Home.

Wonder if there is something else that uses that same sound? Can she change the sound that the USB uses and see if it still happens?

I don't think it's a big deal. I have that happen every now and then if I leave my scanner plugged into a USB port. I hear the noise you are referring to and then the scanner seems to reset the lamp position to home, like it's resetting itself.