Okay, I've done the basics - changed the router password (not admin anymore :)) and set up WEP with a 128 bit password.

What else would be helpful to do to protect myself from intruders, such as blocking ports fro telenet and netbios (things I've read about online but am unsure whether are useful to do or not)

Yeah, you should make sure you disable uPnP and instead of WEP try WPA, it's more secure. Might also want to look into locking down your network by MAC address. if you need more info on these let us know.

B

MAC filtering is usually more trouble than it's worth. However, the WPA suggestion is spot on.

To the OP:

If you don't have an option for WPA, check the Linksys website for a firmware update. All ports should be closed by default, so you shouldn't have to worry with closing ports. Also, if you read that disabling SSID broadcast will make you more secure, don't believe it. It is best if you leave SSID broadcast enabled.

I just found a real good website:

http://www.infosecwriters.com/text_resourc...ksys_wrt54g.pdf

It shows how to do all of what y'all have recommended so far!

As of now, I disabled uPnP, set up WPA, and MAC Filtering! I'd say it's definitly a step up from SSID "linksys" with admin, admin logging in :D

Edited by xxkbxx
MAC filtering is not real security, anyone that could get past WPA encryption will be able to spoof a mac address in a few seconds.

I'm not exactly worried about serious cracking of the network - just some average person with limited knowledge of networking (aka me) from messing with the network

I'm not exactly worried about serious cracking of the network - just some average person with limited knowledge of networking (aka me) from messing with the network

WPA should be all you need then.

That pdf document you linked earlier has some hub-bub in it that really shouldn't be used (e.g. disabling ssid broadcast, mac filtering)

As B mentioned (and you apparently found out :)), MAC filtering can be setup relatively easily. However, for security, if offers little value.

It offers a lot of value for me because it prevents anyone around here from even seeing the network.

Okay, I've done the basics - changed the router password (not admin anymore :)) and set up WEP with a 128 bit password.

What else would be helpful to do to protect myself from intruders, such as blocking ports fro telenet and netbios (things I've read about online but am unsure whether are useful to do or not)

I think that if your password uses the 24 or 26 character maximum you will have excellent protection.