I have a widnows xp system which is blue screening and rebooting(it did not do it for me, but the customer said it does). It has quite a few problems, so I am starting off with a reload of the OS. I am pretty sure that will not fix all of their problems.

If I goto system properties >>> startup and recovery , then check the following:

write an event to the system log

I also have the default dump location set to

%SystemRoot%\Minidump (c:\windowsMinidump)

Here is where I am unsure of what is being dumped. Should I be getting error code information that I would see with a bluescreen? Is it going to create a textfile called "Minidump" I can read with a text editer?

For testing purposes, is their any way I could cause a dump on my system to see what happens.

To save yourself some trouble - a memory dump will be caused by the OS gone bad, memory, or hardrive issues. I highly doubt you'd be able to pinpoint exactly what from the error code. If you reinstall Windows and continue to have that problem (or more specifically if you CAN'T reinstall windows because you're catching a BSOD during installation) it is most likely memory gone bad. If you wanted to reconfirm that you could run memtest

@xxkbxx - thanks for the practical suggestion

@The Terrorist 75 = thanks for the link

I would really like to create a system crash(dump) on my computer for educational reasons. Do any of you guys have a suggestion for doing this(crashing my system)? If you do not feel comforatable posting this on a public forum, plaese leave me a PM.

I wonder how often a system is not able to write the dump file to the harddrive. You would think that the computer would be in to rough of shape to still be able to write to the harddrive after occuring some major error that causes the OS to dump in the first place.