Well, I normally try to leave my pc on all the time even though it normally takes maybe 60 seconds to actually start up. Originally it took like 5 minutes, (it was a basic HP computer from 2002). It has 640 MB of ram, a 1.3 GHz cpu (AMD Athalon Thunderbird), a 24-bit Sound Blaster, and a 256 MB 3D Fuzion (it's a subsidiary company of BFG Tech) GeForce 5500 OC (Overclocked by factory) gfx card. 80 gig hdd, hp cd burner. This week when it's been shut down when I restart it, it takes multiple times. Last time it took 2 tries but this morning it took a whole 10 tries. I think it's from old age... Though the gfx card and sound card are less than a year old. A little help?

I see, it may be the dust because, well in 2002 the HP case didn't have much cooling capabilities and I had to find some way to cool it because it was overheating and a new fan didn't help so I took the side off of it and it's been cooler ever since, but that does let a lot of dust in so I'll try the canned air thing whenever I get some. After the 9th try, I blew into the case and the 10th start it tried. Also the last time I took a look at the heatsink it was like fully clogged with dust.

Edited by swordofdestiny

Not only can the heatsink get clogged with dust and cause reboots and startup problems but the power supply can get plugged up with dust and burnout. I have replaced many HP/Compaq power supplies that have died anywhere from within 1-4 years. They are inadequate with stock parts let alone adding more power hungry hardware.

I'd have to say Power Supply. When my good computer died I massivley upgraded my compaq. I swapped in my 6600GT, memory, and of course a the PSU from the main system. Since it was a full size ATX 400W PSU I had to bend one little slivver of metal to fit it. You need teh extra juice to power that system. A 5500 ain't exactly like a 6600GT but I still say you need to upgrade to a 250W or better PSU. I believe the minimum for a 5500 is 250W. (Though I succesfully utilized a 5700Ultra with a 200W with no problems for the 6 months it was in the Compaq.) You may not even have a 200W if it is that old of an HP. I know that some later ones like my Manager's 2003 or 4 hp have full size ATX PSU's that are like 200W or 250W.

Double check your PSU's size then check out newegg.com for a new PSU.