Gateway Select 1200, has a quatumfireball ICT 20 20 hd, thinking of putting in a larger one, but dont know what to get, I mean in the way of sata idi, etc. Hardware profile doesnt give me any indication. gonna use the old as a slave and new as a master. Thanks for any help, Jim.

Edited by HeavyJ

My guess is if it still has a Quantum Fireball in it, it's IDE. Get a 40GB seagate from Newegg.com or an 80GB for a few bucks more. Seagate is a great brand. Western Digital is good too. My oldest drives are Seagtes. 2 and 3GB. I have 3 WD's. 2 20GB ones and an 80GB. The 2 20's are about 3-5 years old, can't remeber when I got them. My Largest and newest drive is a Maxtor, but honestly I wouldn't get another. It hasn't failed or given me any trouble, it's just I don't think it is particualrly fast and it's much noisier than my 3 WD's.

Just go to Newegg.com find the hard drive section,be dure to pick IDE interface and begin browsing. Remember, the larger the cache, the better. 8MB is probably the best you'll get but a 2MB cache would work just fine.

Like Hondaboy said, it's most likely an IDE. I highly doubt the board has SATA since it's a Gateway (not cost productive for them to have additional unused features)

Go with Seagate (5 year warrenties) or WD. It's worth the extra $5 for a good drive versus a Samsung or other brand