and the screen is blank - it'll be the inverter.

Will that give the same appearance as the back lite going out?

Hmm, on regular LCD's when the back light goes out every now and then it can flicker. However, when the inverter is out I know that the screen is totally blank. Other than that I don't know

Your best bet is to let a reputable shop take a peek at it before you start playing around with it.

Thanks for the insight :rolleyes: How will I learn that way? I do not have a broken laptop, I am just curious.

edit added//

If I wanted to pay someone $70 to look at a laptop and learn nothing, I would then follow your advice. This is a friendly forum, so I just asked a friendy question. I am just "making conversation"; I am just curious what the other members of this forum think.

Edited by shanenin

Your best bet is to let a reputable shop take a peek at it before you start playing around with it.

Thanks for the insight :rolleyes: How will I learn that way? I do not have a broken laptop, I am just curious.

edit added//

If I wanted to pay someone $70 to look at a laptop and learn nothing, I would then follow your advice. This is a friendly forum, so I just asked a friendy question. I am just "making conversation"; I am just curious what the other members of this forum think.

Must have carried over from a G4 comment :)