I'm not sure how or why, but I keep losing my sound. Once before it happened after I did a windows update, so I was told to roll back the driver and then it worked fine.

I have something in my computer called "Sound Effect" and when I do the speaker test, it works fine. I do hear the test sounds in that program. I'm not hearing system sounds either tho (like when email comes in) but my sound settings are not muted, I checked that already. When I try to play a song, it says "problem with your sound device".

When I check properties in my computer, device manager, sound video and game controllers there are no yellow exclamation marks.

I think what my sound thingie is is Realtek '97 Audio for VIA® Audio Controller, but I could be wrong, there's lots of stuff listed under sounds

Oh it worked this morning when my husband was playing pool on yahoo and then it stopped working when it was my computer time :angry2: I've tried rebooting and rolling the driver back but no luck yet.

Thank you :)

reinstall the latest driver if you cna find out exactly what it is.

I rolled back the driver, no luck and I also tried installing the latest driver from the website and no luck, still no sound (but my speaker test still works )

further, I've rolled back to every driver possible and no luck. I also uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck.

Again, I cannot play system sounds or music, but yet when I do the SoundMan (think that's what it's called) speaker test, I hear the sound no problem.

Edited by velda

In Control Panel open Sounds and Audio Devices. Click the Audio tab and see if Realtek AC97 Audio shows as default in the Sound playback box and the box for Use only default devices is checked. Also look in your Temp files or Realtek folder under Programs in C:\Windows for soundman.exe. Double click to execute it. I have found that it isn't self installing you need to execute the file for your sound to work.

In Control Panel open Sounds and Audio Devices. Click the Audio tab and see if Realtek AC97 Audio shows as default in the Sound playback box and the box for Use only default devices is checked. Also look in your Temp files or Realtek folder under Programs in C:\Windows for soundman.exe. Double click to execute it. I have found that it isn't self installing you need to execute the file for your sound to work.

:wub::wub::wub: Thank you!!!!!!!!! the audio tab was NOT showing Realtek as the default...thank you SO much :)

You wouldn't believe how long it took me to figure that out when I first got this motherboard that uses the same program. I still don't like the sound quality. I will be adding a sound card in the future.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
You wouldn't believe how long it took me to figure that out when I first got this motherboard that uses the same program. I still don't like the sound quality. I will be adding a sound card in the future.

I have this reminder printed LOL...I had this problem before and followed the instructions given last time but this time it didn't work. Yours did tho :) Do you have any idea WHY this does this? it's SO annoying...and it will just happen in the middle of the day for no apparent reason. It's very annoying. My computer isn't paid for yet but that will be the first thing I change when it's officially mine :)

Thank you again :)