Ok im back with more harddrive issues. Before I thought a hot harddrive was the problem but it may be something else. I started to have that problem where my game (battlefield 2) would freeze up soon after or during load. Well I noticed something. Right before my computer freezes I hear a click from my Harddrive. I let it cool down again but when i started it I heard a click during boot right after bios checked my CD drives. My cd drives come first on my boot order so i know my motherboard was checking my harddrive when I heard the click. It tried again and now its working. I used speedfan's SMART monitor to check my harddrive but everything is showing up as good. Any ideas?

Could there be a SATA cable which could be causing this problem?

Clicks ussually signify your drive head hitting something, ussually the platter. IMO opinion, BACK UP EVERYTHING IMPORTANT, and just keep on using your computer. Check to see if SMART is enabled in your BIOS and that will give you a heads up if the HDD if about to fail (I don't really trust Speedfan's as much as I do the BIOS)

Well its not clicks its just one click and then the PC freezes. I have backed up all my stuff. Could a weak PSU or bad motherboard be damaging my drive because this is the second drive I have had on this computer which has failed.

Well its not clicks its just one click and then the PC freezes. I have backed up all my stuff. Could a weak PSU or bad motherboard be damaging my drive because this is the second drive I have had on this computer which has failed.

A bad power connector could cause this problem. I have one 4-pin connector that was bad going to my slave drive. It would cause the drive to click then freeze the computer. This went on for some time before I replaced to molex connector. The hard drive is fine. In fact It is being used right now. Many hard drives will click as they power up and down. Some of them you can hear while others are not noticeable.

Well it is a pretty loud click. I only hear it before it frezes my computer. Well if it can be a power problem then could this be the reason. One of my molex connector's pin is really lose. I have to keep pushing it back up into its connector every now and then if I open my case up. I have it taped and stuff. I know it gets lose at times and breaks the connection. Its not connected to my video card or harddrive directly but it is on the same circuit. I know when it gets lose my video card says that its molex power supply is not connected or installed properly. Would that damamge either my card or my drive.?

Well it is a pretty loud click. I only hear it before it frezes my computer. Well if it can be a power problem then could this be the reason. One of my molex connector's pin is really lose. I have to keep pushing it back up into its connector every now and then if I open my case up. I have it taped and stuff. I know it gets lose at times and breaks the connection. Its not connected to my video card or harddrive directly but it is on the same circuit. I know when it gets lose my video card says that its molex power supply is not connected or installed properly. Would that damamge either my card or my drive.?

It could. I would replace it.

I agree with xxkbxx and TheTerrorist_75. You can abandon that connector and buy a "Y" molex connector at your local electronics store - use it on one of the good plugs to make two out of one... or replace the power supply. Perfect time for an ps upgrade?

rigel

Backing up your data is always a smart move...

Edited by rigel