Greetings

I recentlly uninstalled a trial (bookmark) software, and multiple windows popped up stating that even though the shared files were not in use, uninstalling them might cause some programs not to work...I opted to not take off the shared files, and at the end of the uninstall, it said there were some parts of the uninstall which would have to be removed manually.

One of the files was: SMTP.40.OCX

I didn't write the others down ( I thought I was backing out of the entire uninstall by saying "no" to the prompt). The software was Alert Bookmarks.

Would you recommend using system restore to back up and then uninstall all the shared files?? Is this how the computer can get bogged down- with bits and pieces of files- or not to worry??

Thanks in advance

Ashwin

Edited by ashwin

If you had System Restore enabled before you installed the program just restore to a point before the install. That's all I do when removing a program that I didn't like. It saves you from running a registry cleaner. In fact before installing any new program I create a new restore point and name it Before installing program name, that way I can revert to my previous setup with ease.

before you try restore

try this

if you use xp

change the sys to classic view

reboot your compt

when it is booting tap f8 keep tapping

until it goes to safe mode

go to safe mode on networking

then follow the screens until your desktop appears

then go to start-search

type the name of the program your trying

to get rid of

then right click them all

and delete them all in the window

the reason your getting those messages is because

the sys is using some of the files from that program

and in safe mode they are stand alone

you will probably have to empty your

trash can once your back in normal mode

i hope this helps

marty

Thanks to you both.

TT 75: In the PAST I used SR the way you are and my restores got slower and slower, and eventually froze my entire hard drive- I had to reinstall windows. I'm not afraid to use it once, but there is some kind of limitation I don't know about...

MARTY: I think you're saying it is OK to delete the 4-5 unused files, and since the program is uninstalled, I'll go into safe mode and see if I can find them.

All the best--Ashwin

If SR slowed down your system then you need to reduce the size of it. You can reduce System Restore's voracious appetite for disk space by manually reducing the area set aside for the Restore cache area. Here's how to access that setting: In XP: Right click on My Computer, then Properties, and then the System Restore tab. Select the hard drive you wish to adjust (in XP, each drive can have its own System Restore setting), and click the Settings button.

I have mine set to 5% (1061MB) on a 20GB hard drive space. For 2 weeks worth you could set it as low as 200MB.

If you had System Restore enabled before you installed the program just restore to a point before the install. That's all I do when removing a program that I didn't like. It saves you from running a registry cleaner. In fact before installing any new program I create a new restore point and name it Before installing program name, that way I can revert to my previous setup with ease.

That sounds like a pretty good statagie. With that said, do you think it really matters much if a program leaves a bit of info in the registry? I would not think a few extra entrys would slow stuff down much.

That sounds like a pretty good statagie. With that said, do you think it really matters much if a program leaves a bit of info in the registry? I would not think a few extra entrys would slow stuff down much.

Some leave entries that report back. Also some trial software places entries in your firewall so they can call home. It is always a good idea to clean up after discovering you don't want to conrtinue using trial software. Using System restore makes this easy.

for what ist worth i have my restore popints set at full

but when ever i clean my sys

i delete the restore points up until then

then go in and set a restore point up until that time .

those restore points do not slow my sys down

you may have spy ware doing that

or some foreigner butting on you sys

marty