Turkey Breast

I am in the process of cooking a 5.5 lb turkey breast in the oven. Do you guys have any good ideas to finish the meat. For example. I think I may cut(or shred) some of the breast meast and mix with barbeque sauce to make sandwiches. I think my children will give me a hard time if ywe have bbq sandwiches for the next three days. Any other ideas that include turkey in the mix would be appreciated. If we would not have just had spagetti with sauce last evening, I would have added turkey to that.

maybe turkey soup?

turkey chilli :-)

A couple standards in my family

Turkey (or chicken) and Biscuits

Turkey, a little water, onions, lots of celery, saute till the celery turns brighter green and the onions turn sorta transparent *now, this is assuming precooked poultry, if using raw, stir fry the meat first*

Add frozen green beans, carrots and water to cover, black pepper and chicken bouillion (just taste it, I don't measure bouillion!) and simmer till the carrots are done

Put a good handful of flour in a cup and add water till it's the consistency of pancake batter, and pour into the pot, while stirring, enough to thicken the sauce and cook till the "floury" taste is gone (I suppose cornstarch would work better if you have it!)

Serve this "goop" over hot biscuits--- homemade, storebought, pillsbury, whatever (of course home made are the best!)

Turkey (chicken) and Rice

Saute turkey, a little water and 1 medium chopped onion till the onions get transparent *this is assuming precooked poultry, if using raw meat, stir fry it first*

Add 1 small can mushrooms, juice and all

Add 1 1/2 cups rice, 3 cups water and chicken bouillion to taste (make it strong, as the rice absorbs a lot of the bouillion flavor while it cooks)

Bring to boil, cover, then "barely simmer" for 25 minutes and don't lift the lid (that makes rice gummy). Turn off heat and let sit covered for 10 more minutes

I use a cast iron pan :thumbsup:

And of COURSE turkey soup---yum!

Now, Daughter-in-College invented a "recipe" which consists of cooked chicken (turkey), lettuce, and tomatoes rolled up in a soft tortilla. Then she tops them with shredded cheese and microwaves them till the cheese melts. She say they're delish!

Darn it, now I'm hungry

Liz

Edited by blim

Ahh, sure smells good, Liz.

What time is dinner? Haha :lol:

Maybe we ought to set up a recipe section. What do you think? I would love to see some

different ideas. Different parts of the country have their own style.

Barb :D

Edited by bar5

You might like this too!

Next Day Turkey Pot Pie

1 medium onion

1 C. carrots

1 C. celery

1 T. vegetable oil

9 oz. frozen chopped spinach

3 C. cooked turkey

10 3/4 oz. canned cream of chicken soup

2 1/2 C. milk, divided

1/4 t. black pepper

1 1/2 C. self-rising flour

1/4 C. Parmesan cheese

1/2 C. butter or margarine

Heat oven to 400° F. Grease shallow 3-quart baking dish.

In large skillet, cook chopped onion, thinly sliced carrots and thinly sliced celery in vegetable oil until tender. Stir in spinach (thawed and drained); pour into baking dish. Add shredded or chopped turkey and distribute evenly in baking dish.

In medium bowl, combine undiluted soup, 1 cup milk and freshly ground pepper; pour over turkey mixture. In medium bowl, combine remaining milk, flour, grated cheese and melted butter or margarine; stir until smooth. Pour over ingredients in baking dish.

Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 6-8 servings. :)

You might like this too!

Next Day Turkey Pot Pie

1 medium onion

1 C. carrots

1 C. celery

1 T. vegetable oil

9 oz. frozen chopped spinach

3 C. cooked turkey

10 3/4 oz. canned cream of chicken soup

2 1/2 C. milk, divided

1/4 t. black pepper

1 1/2 C. self-rising flour

1/4 C. Parmesan cheese

1/2 C. butter or margarine

Heat oven to 400° F. Grease shallow 3-quart baking dish.

In large skillet, cook chopped onion, thinly sliced carrots and thinly sliced celery in vegetable oil until tender. Stir in spinach (thawed and drained); pour into baking dish. Add shredded or chopped turkey and distribute evenly in baking dish.

In medium bowl, combine undiluted soup, 1 cup milk and freshly ground pepper; pour over turkey mixture. In medium bowl, combine remaining milk, flour, grated cheese and melted butter or margarine; stir until smooth. Pour over ingredients in baking dish.

Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 6-8 servings. :)

Edited by Mychal007
... Now, Daughter-in-College invented a "recipe" which consists of cooked chicken (turkey), lettuce, and tomatoes rolled up in a soft tortilla. Then she tops them with shredded cheese and microwaves them till the cheese melts. She say they're delish! ...

Whoa, that sounds like a great way to serve leftovers (umm, or whatever you call it when you intentionally cook more than you need to serve). I'd add the diced tomatos and lettuce AFTER nukin' them though.

Some more ideas, here:

Butterball Turkey - leftover turkey recipes

Edited by JDoors

I am the man of the house, but do most of the cooking. My wife loves the food I make her. I love to eat and love to cook. I agree, it would be nice to hear what difffernt people like to eat and prepare.

The best two way to make a turkey breast (or a whole turkey, for that matter) that I know of are

1. Slow roasted on the grill and put some raw bacon on top of it so as it cooks, it will baste the meat. Check the bacon every so often and replace when it gets crisp.

2. The other way is to deep fry it. Yum!!!!!

I am the man of the house, but do most of the cooking. My wife loves the food I make her. I love to eat and love to cook. I agree, it would be nice to hear what difffernt people like to eat and prepare.

When you have time, try this special turkey recipe.

Turducken

Edited by handplane
  • 3 weeks later...

Turducken

wow that looks involved. Have you made it yourself?

I am the man of the house, but do most of the cooking. My wife loves the food I make her. I love to eat and love to cook. I agree, it would be nice to hear what different people like to eat and prepare.

Turducken

wow that looks involved. Have you made it yourself?

Yes, many times.

Lots of preparation.

Three different birds and dressings.

Taste is soooo good.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.